Railroad Forums 

• NEW snow fighting equipment

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1423998  by BandA

About Sunday, one of the stations (WCVB?) rolled 5 seconds of tape showing a new "Keolis" snow plow, a V-shape plow like you would attach to a snow plow or pickup truck. This was attached to a low vehicle, which I assume was some type of weighted "sled" flat car running in front of the locomotive. They said they were going to test this the next day, which I think was Monday.

Looked like a very low-cost, low-maintenance but unadjustable solution. Shape would work for a single-track line, you would need a different plow for double-track.
 #1424262  by caduceus

I saw several short clips of a new-looking self-powered track running unit - looked like just a large snowblower like a town would use for a sidewalk, but meant to run on the tracks. It might have been for the above-grade parts of the subway or trolley lines though.
 #1424332  by MBTA3247

caduceus wrote:I saw several short clips of a new-looking self-powered track running unit - looked like just a large snowblower like a town would use for a sidewalk, but meant to run on the tracks. It might have been for the above-grade parts of the subway or trolley lines though.
That's probably the one mentioned on the previous page.
 #1424353  by F-line to Dudley via Park

MBTA3247 wrote:
caduceus wrote:I saw several short clips of a new-looking self-powered track running unit - looked like just a large snowblower like a town would use for a sidewalk, but meant to run on the tracks. It might have been for the above-grade parts of the subway or trolley lines though.
That's probably the one mentioned on the previous page.
All that CR snowfighting equipment lives at Alewife MOW yard. Seriously recommend taking in the scene from the parkway overpass over the tracks as that's where it gets lined up ready for deployment ~2 days before any big winter weather event. It's the one place where you can see representative variety and quantity of railcar, railcar attachment, hi-rail, and truck snow equipment all in one place before it gets scattered to the winds in storage or back off-lease during the offseason. Photo vantage point is great there for getting up-close unobstructed views of the whole facility.

Monday afternoon they had all the railed equipment turned in ready-to-go position at the crossovers in front of the garage bays, the plows lined up on the lead tracks out to Belmont ready to get coupled by any incoming work locos, and all the truck/hi-rail attachments immaculately aligned up the side driveway in plug-and-play position for the big armada to depart. All of the other track equipment had been stuffed well out of the way on the easterly stub track way out to the bumper post. You get a good sense just from seeing how everything was arranged in the yard how the snowfighting army was going to be scrambled en masse at go-time.