Railroad Forums 

• F40PH-3C overhaul program

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1537482  by chrisf

GP40MC1118 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:34 am It's a complete overhaul. As to why as least two shells (and maybe a third) are being
shipped to Curry Rail, I don't know.
It seems like that'd make sense if Erie isn't yet set up to do heavy body repairs like these engines clearly seem to need.
 #1539420  by sonicdoommario

Was there any testing for the 1031 or the 1035 on the NEC today? I live near the curved tracks at HEBRONVILLE and saw a train headed into Boston at top speed from my house. Normally MBTA trains going inbound pass my house very slowly, as they are switching from track 2 to track 4. There are trees in between my house and the tracks, so I didn't get a great view, but the outline and colors of the engine that I saw did look like it was a rebuilt F40. Set had 2 doubles and 3 singles on it, with the 3 singles sandwiched in between the two doubles.
 #1539436  by GP40MC1118

That was a Seaview Extra out of Readville. They brought the 1119 down there and bringing back the 1116.
Some sort of PTC/Air brake related work.

D
 #1541122  by Pensyfan19

Could it be possible for one of these rebuilds to be repainted as a New Haven and/or Boston and Maine heritage unit? It's a bit far fetched but I think it was mentioned here before, and NJT has their own heritage units.
 #1541133  by BandA

Listened to James Aloisi yammering on WBUR today (buses should be free, etc.). Said those polluting diesel CR engines should be replaced by clean EMUs. My question, which I apologize if it has already been answered, is what is the emissions of the overhauled engines? Having used BBY or even stood on a bridge as an MBTA CR train went under you know those old engines had nasty emissions which was basically his only logical point.
 #1541142  by Trinnau

They are overhauled to Tier 0+ standards. What that means in terms of emissions I haven't a clue. New locomotives need to be Tier 4, the HSP46s are Tier 3.
 #1541168  by Backshophoss

Emission standards Tiers are based on the original New Built date,the F-40's were built before there were emission standards.
 #1541275  by GP40MC1118

Sounds and looks like the rebuild program has slowed down or run into problems?
Not that the pandemic situation isn't a factor. MPI in Boise used to be able to do
everything, but now the move to Erie has seen three body shells outsourced to Curry
Rail in Holidaysburg, Pa. Nothing shipped either way recently.

And now there's this (Layoffs at Erie):

https://www.yourerie.com/news/local-new ... uOyM0IBA9A