Railroad Forums 

• F40PH-3C overhaul program

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1506167  by diburning

Is the prime mover the issue here? I always thought it was the HEP. Metra operates long trains (9-10 cars) with all flavors of F40s all the time. Unless those gallery cars are a lot lighter than the MBTA's coaches, the F40s should be able to handle longer trains just fine if they can provide the HEP. But, Metra averages 30-35mph between stops on local trains, so that might be the real difference.
 #1506178  by chrisf

trains18 wrote:
Mbtagp40mc wrote:I’m curious.. will these rebuilds be able to handle the larger 8 or 9 car sets that the HSP46s can?
I'm not 100% sure but I think the F40PH-3C specifications will be upgraded to the same specs as the HSP's. Someone with more detailed info please fill me in because I can't find the information anywhere. Cheers to F40's :-D
No, the rebuild doesn't change the power output and doesn't convert the F40s to AC power. Both of these factors make the HSP better at pulling heavy trains.
 #1507352  by Bramdeisroberts

https://www.wcvb.com/amp/article/mbta-t ... s/27318537" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And now It looks like every single remaining F40 in the fleet is going to get the MPI Boise spa treatment.

Although it'll be interesting to see if the "27 additional" number was just a typo referring to the 27 F40s in total, or if the T has in fact approved the rebuilding of 27 additional locomotives on top of the 10 F40s already in line for Boise and they're sending 10 geeps off to be rebuilt as well.
 #1507367  by CRail

CRail wrote:It was stated in January's Fiscal Management Control Board meeting that the option for the remaining 26 units will be exercised, meaning all of the stretch F40s will be rebuilt.
From this thread in January.
 #1507374  by sonicdoommario

The article also noted that the 1050 should be back in service this week. Wonder if it'll join its fellow 1054 on the north side, where that has remained since returning to service.
 #1507472  by Commuterrail1050

Bramdeisroberts wrote:https://www.wcvb.com/amp/article/mbta-t ... s/27318537

And now It looks like every single remaining F40 in the fleet is going to get the MPI Boise spa treatment.

Although it'll be interesting to see if the "27 additional" number was just a typo referring to the 27 F40s in total, or if the T has in fact approved the rebuilding of 27 additional locomotives on top of the 10 F40s already in line for Boise and they're sending 10 geeps off to be rebuilt as well.
Just all the active F40PHM and 2Cs are getting rebuilt to F40PH-3C class. The original F40s are retired and I've seen multiple sources of that proof. Hoping that one will go to a museum but we will see. Not going to go further on that since it has nothing to do with the rebuilding topic.
 #1507473  by Commuterrail1050

GP40MC1118 wrote:1050 is still down in Rochester testing.

No word on who's next out of Boise, except it should be one of the group shipped
out of storage in Kingston. First group to go...

D
1028, 1063, and 1068 were part of the 5 that were first sent from storage at Kingston, ma
 #1507503  by johnpbarlow

Here's a snip-it copy of the photo and lead paragraph in Progressive Railroading's article re: MBTA decision to overhaul 27 more F40s apparently, per the accompanying photo, converting them into Type 7 trolleys! :wink:

https://www.progressiverailroading.com/ ... uls--57457

But at least Trains Magazine used the appropriate photo in its article: http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/20 ... ul-program
Attachments:
mbta locomotive overhaul.JPG
mbta locomotive overhaul.JPG (90.54 KiB) Viewed 1753 times
 #1507582  by Commuterrail1050

sonicdoommario wrote:The article also noted that the 1050 should be back in service this week. Wonder if it'll join its fellow 1054 on the north side, where that has remained since returning to service.
After the locos finish testing, they usually stay up north for a while to make sure they work well before going south.
 #1507619  by WorldwideRailfan (Youtube)

So apparently 1050 is testing today. I heard from a friend that it’s going from Middleborough to South Hampton St. or South Station (not sure which one yet) then it’ll go to the BET via the Grand Junction branch. By the way, 1032 should be the next F40 returning from MPI.