Railroad Forums 

• Monthly ticket question

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1398419  by pwormald

As sadly MBTA do not sell a one week ticket and I don't want to pay for aa all zones one month ticket I am wondering if a month ticket can be transferred? This way I use it for a week and then pass on to someone else to use and it becomes much better value! Also do they have to start on a certain date?

It seems MBTA have a very unfriendly ticket system. On Metrolink in LA you can but 7 day point to point and start it when you want

Thanks
 #1398424  by deathtopumpkins

Technically yes, monthly passes are transferrable, in that they do not have a name or any other identifying information on them. However, I think you'll probably have a hard time finding someone to buy the rest of your pass. There are very few people interested in only part of a month, and there have been issues with counterfeit tickets in the past, so people are likely going to be wary about buying one off a random person. And there's no official means of transferring passes, so you'd be stuck having to try and sell it to someone yourself. Also, yes, they do have to start on a certain date. They're based on calendar months, not rolling 30-day periods.

I'd recommend against it. The passes aren't that great of a deal compared to individual tickets anyway.