Railroad Forums 

• No. 1 Cambridge Subway Cars

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1384103  by The MTA Blue Egg

Anyone know where I can get good photos and/or blueprints of the original Cambridge Subway Cars?
I'm looking for something alittle more detailed than the clearance drawings that are out there.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Mike
 #1384119  by jonnhrr

I assume you have seen the Acadia book on the Red Line which has many pictures and an outline drawing.

Possibly the BSRA might have something. Unfortunately I don't believe any of these cars were saved. The one at Seashore is a #4 (0719).

Jon
 #1384156  by The MTA Blue Egg

Thanks. I do have the Arcadia book . The drawing you are referring to is a clearance drawing.
Those are very, very general and and are tough to use to base a CAD on.
The MTA got rid of all the first three sets of CD cars. The only ones that are still around are
the 1928 No. 4s as you said.
There are blueprints from the Digital Maine Seashore collection but I'm looking for something more detailed.
Its interesting to note that the Elevated changed the dimensions slightly from their original form
in order to comform to what Standard Steel wanted (you can even see where the original numbers were
erased and new ones substituted, but the drawing still has original post locations)

Mike