Railroad Forums 

• Work Trains / Equipment Moves

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1378699  by dbperry

Mass Coastal 2010 wrote:Thought I'd post this here, after all it is an extra.
2016-04-01 (1).png

-Mike
Link to click is here

I've done a bunch of these and they're interesting. Usually a bunch of waiting and standing around, so not necessarily the most exciting thing ever, but better than sitting home on the couch. Did a Massport drill back in October simulating a plane crash. Got to walk around on a runway at Logan!
https://twitter.com/BostonFire/status/6 ... 1961854976" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1380431  by GP40MC1118

Today brings another Worcester Line stone train. The 3247 will be bringing 7 loads to the
passing siding on the Grand Jct, where the 904 from the Worcester Stone Train will pick
them up. Should be dumping between CP4 and CP11. They will return the empties to the
siding on the GJ.

D
 #1380469  by F-line to Dudley via Park

boatsmate wrote:where are they loading these cars?
The commuter rail ballast pile is located underneath the Santilli Circle overpass in Everett on the first 1500 ft. of the Saugus Branch. They retained that double-track segment from Everett Jct. to Spalding St. for servicing the ballast pile. Lot of space under there. You'll usually see a string of ballast hoppers parked in a string on one of the tracks. Since all of these Worcester Line ballast dumps are originating via northside + Grand Junction, it's overwhelmingly likely these loads are coming from the Everett pile and not via freight interchange. If they were taking a freight handoff they'd be picking up in Worcester from PAR or P&W, or Framingham from CSX.
 #1380623  by dbperry

GP40MC1118 wrote:Ka-boom....F-Line stole my thunder...

Yes, the cars are being loaded at Everett Jct on the former Saugus Branch stub.

D
Is the stone delivered to the pile by rail? If so, from where?
 #1380648  by MBTA3247

GP40MC1118 wrote:Today brings another Worcester Line stone train. The 3247 will be bringing 7 loads to the
passing siding on the Grand Jct, where the 904 from the Worcester Stone Train will pick
them up. Should be dumping between CP4 and CP11. They will return the empties to the
siding on the GJ.

D
On my drive home yesterday I noticed from the Market Street bridge that fresh ballast had been dumped on the track closest to the Pike.
 #1381448  by dbperry

dbperry wrote:
Mass Coastal 2010 wrote:Thought I'd post this here, after all it is an extra.
The attachment 2016-04-01 (1).png is no longer available

-Mike
Link to click is here

I've done a bunch of these and they're interesting. Usually a bunch of waiting and standing around, so not necessarily the most exciting thing ever, but better than sitting home on the couch. Did a Massport drill back in October simulating a plane crash. Got to walk around on a runway at Logan!
https://twitter.com/BostonFire/status/6 ... 1961854976" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
re: 2016 Passenger Evacuation Drill in Barnstable, MA on May 14th

They're still looking for volunteers and have extended the registration deadline to April 27th. See attached flyer.
Attachments:
(575.39 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
 #1382621  by GP40MC1118

Tomorrow 7 car stone train for the Fitchburg Route. On duty 6AM. BET. 3247 for power.

Sunday: Ballast/Flanger Extra On duty 7AM Southampton St
Engine 904 and Snow Flanger (which will be used as a shoving platform) pick up cars
on Grand Jct runaround and bring to Middleboro. Picking up 3 ballast cars from
Middleboro and bring to Beacon Park Yard.

Monday: Worcester Line Stone Train OD6AM Southampton St Dumping stone between
CP4-CP11
 #1382678  by F-line to Dudley via Park

So I've got a question, given the burst in stone train activity:

When the Everett ballast pile needs a restock, where (and whom) does the T get deliveries from? Do PAR or CSX drop off a string of cars at Everett Jct. attached to one of their Everett Terminal jobs, or does the T send their own work train out to interchange at a freight yard?
 #1382687  by jaymac

...just wondering what the rate might be for multiple hopper-loads from Trew on the East Deerfield Loop...
 #1382699  by GP40MC1118

I understand the stone is trucked in from the Dracut area, but that will be ending at some
point this season. Word is either the E. Deerfield quarry or Lane in Westfield will be
providing stone.

D