Railroad Forums 

• Derailment of 1013

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1356641  by railfan1988

I was recently shown a photo of (retired) Screamer 1013 derailed and lying almost on its side. The photo must have been taken in the 80's, as there is a bud car, with no dome, attached to the 1013. In the background of the photo, you can see what look like skyscrapers, meaning the photo was taken in Boston. Anyone have any information on this derailment?
 #1356646  by Type 7 3684

railfan1988 wrote:I was recently shown a photo of (retired) Screamer 1013 derailed and lying almost on its side. The photo must have been taken in the 80's, as there is a bud car, with no dome, attached to the 1013. In the background of the photo, you can see what look like skyscrapers, meaning the photo was taken in Boston. Anyone have any information on this derailment?
I've never heard of this derailment. If the photo was online, do you have a link?
 #1356647  by Dick H

I have not found any details on the derailment, but read the heading (small print) at the top this photo by David Hutchinson.
Mr. Hutchinson is a poster on Railroad.net on New England rail threads. He likely has the details and hopefully will post them.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2095889" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1356661  by railfan1988

Type 7 3684 wrote:
railfan1988 wrote:I was recently shown a photo of (retired) Screamer 1013 derailed and lying almost on its side. The photo must have been taken in the 80's, as there is a bud car, with no dome, attached to the 1013. In the background of the photo, you can see what look like skyscrapers, meaning the photo was taken in Boston. Anyone have any information on this derailment?
I've never heard of this derailment. If the photo was online, do you have a link?
I did not find the picture online. A fellow rail fan showed it to me.
 #1356664  by djimpact1

A little on-site searching goes a long way....

viewtopic.php?f=65&t=47326&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1356665  by RRCOMM

There was a similar picture to what you describe in the Northside Dispatching office. I think it hit a Lowboy trailer in Malden or Medford.
 #1356679  by GP40MC1118

There was a slide on EBAY last week of the 1013 listing, derailed. Unfortunately, I did not
win this slide. Can't remember which derailment this was...

D
 #1356937  by bmcdr

Can't remember the date, have a newspaper clipping somewhere, GOD knows where, but I do remember that night. It was the middle of the rush hour, and I was the brakeman on a Framingham local. The house engineer was bringing a draft over from Southampton Street yard with the 1013 on the rear, for some reason, probably split a switch, the 1013 derailed and tipped over and found itself precariously leaning up against a retaining wall at the throat of the yard at South Bay. This sealed the fate of the rest of the rush hour, and the Trainmaster was scrambling for equipment. The Amtrak Superintendant, a good railroad man from the B&O, stepped in and ordered the newly arrived "Lake Shore Limited" turned and loaded up with local passengers and headed back out to Framingham. What a treat for myself and my passengers to ride home in the luxury of 50's era reclining seat coaches complete with a staffed bar car!

After the 1013 was righted and inspected, she was sent over to B.E.T. to have her body damage repaired whereupon she got the new B&M take on the "T" paint scheme, metallic Imron maroon and silver with yellow accent stripes, in all, five units got this paint job. They were the 1013,1104,1108,1110, and 1151, the "T" was NOT pleased! The maroon and silver deviated from the accepted purple and silver, the 1013 didn't last long in this scheme and was repainted properly within a years time, the F-10's remained in the maroon for the rest of their careers
 #1357225  by 130MM

I came to work for the B&M in December of 1985, and the derailment had already happened. I remember the MW crews talking of the differences between the Amtrak and B&M track crews and methodologies.

DAW