Railroad Forums 

• Equipment 'turns' on Framingham Worcester

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1330824  by dbperry

I'm trying to figure out equipment usage / turns on Framingham Worcester. So far, this is what I have. Can anyone confirm the question marks I have? Anything else I got wrong? Related question: Are employee timetables closely guarded confidential documents?

In particular, I'm not sure that 501 is a double draft. Could be the 545 is double draft and there are five sets laying over in Worcester.

500, 502, 506, and 508 originate in Worcester after 'laying over' through the night
501 double draft gets split in Worcester to become 504 and 582?
503 becomes 512 (Worcester turn)
505 becomes 516 (Worcester turn)
507 becomes 510 (Framingham turn)
509 becomes 514 (Framingham turn)
511 becomes 518 (Worcester turn)
513 becomes 520 (Worcester turn)
515 becomes 522 (Worcester turn)
517 becomes 524 (Worcester turn)
519 becomes 526 (Worcester turn)
521 becomes 528 (Worcester turn)
523 becomes 532 (Worcester turn)
525 becomes 530 (Framingham turn)
527 terminates in Worcester (lays over, becomes 508 equipment)
529 becomes 534 (Framingham turn)
583 goes back into Boston as 584 (non-revenue)
531 terminates in Worcester (lays over, becomes 506 equipment)
533 becomes 536 (Worcester turn)
535 becomes 538 (Worcester turn)
537 becomes 540 (Worcester turn)
539 terminates in Worcester (lays over?)
541 becomes 542 (Worcester turn)
543 becomes 544 (Worcester turn)
545 terminates in Worcester (lays over)

Commuter rail schedule for reference: http://www.mbta.com/uploadedfiles/Docum ... cester.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks

Dave
 #1330835  by CNJGeep

When I rode 501 on Free T day, the equipment turned for 504 and 582 was a separate set of equipment.
An engine plus 5 for 501.
 #1330916  by jmar896

dbperry wrote: Could be the 545 is double draft and there are five sets laying over in Worcester.
I think there are only 4 spots in the Worcester layover yard so I am pretty sure that only 4 units layover in Worcester. If 5 laid over there one would have to be tucked away at the station platform or in the CSX yard. I have never saw that happen before, and I doubt they could layover a unit at the platform considering they share it with the LSL and if its late it could come in after the last train of the night. It is possible that they might be able to tuck 2 four car sets on one of the layover tracks (they get a 9 car train on there sometimes), but I have never seen it happen.

Also, they plug the trains in at night. There are only 4 slots to do that.
 #1330920  by F-line to Dudley via Park

jmar896 wrote:
dbperry wrote: Could be the 545 is double draft and there are five sets laying over in Worcester.
I think there are only 4 spots in the Worcester layover yard so I am pretty sure that only 4 units layover in Worcester. If 5 laid over there one would have to be tucked away at the station platform or in the CSX yard. I have never saw that happen before, and I doubt they could layover a unit at the platform considering they share it with the LSL and if its late it could come in after the last train of the night. It is possible that they might be able to tuck 2 four car sets on one of the layover tracks (they get a 9 car train on there sometimes), but I have never seen it happen.

P&W yard is the new 'overflow' layover yard. That agreement got consummated within the last 18 months, and I believe P&W was installing a couple plug-ins there next to its shop.
 #1330954  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:
jmar896 wrote:

P&W yard is the new 'overflow' layover yard. That agreement got consummated within the last 18 months, and I believe P&W was installing a couple plug-ins there next to its shop.
Only 4 spots in the Worcester layover facility, and as jmar wrote, track 4 in the layover yard, could hold 2 4 car sets, hooked up with HEP cables together in order to get the 480 ground power to both sets. As for the P&W yard, word was that they did indeed do all the work necessary for us to layover trains in the yard, but nothing has come of it. Last I heard, was that CSX wasn't going to let us make the move from the P&W thru CP 45 into the station without paper work that is required for all their trains to operate on their territory. Even though we are in their territory for half a mile, thru an Interlocking, they still want paper work...which is non sense. Any who, as of now, that space is sitting unused by us
 #1330955  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Also, 527, 531, 539, 545 put up in the facility for the night

501 comes from Boston, becomes 504

581 comes from Boston, becomes 582

503 comes from Boston, becomes 512

no double drafts in the morning anymore, everything is a separate train...as long as all goes well in the universe