Railroad Forums 

• Anyone know where checkthedoorlight went? And his maps?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1325064  by BostonUrbEx

I don't know if anyone else remembers, but forum user checkthedoorlight was working on an incredibly accurate track chart for all of Greater Boston or eastern Mass. His last post was in 2011, but he still reads the forums regularly. I sent him a PM, but he either didn't see it or ignored it and hasn't viewed the forum since a couple days after the PM was sent. I can't find anything, not even a sample, of his Boston map.

Does anyone know what happened to him or his map project? They were coming along very well and looked very promising.
 #1325069  by The EGE

He was hired (no doubt partially on the basis of those maps) by a transportation / geospatial analyst firm. A dream job for him no doubt. Unfortunately, his employer asked that he also remove the maps he had already published from the internet.
 #1325084  by F-line to Dudley via Park

I managed to salvage a dated version of his NYC track map off of Web Archive some time back, if you want to plug in the site URL into their search engine and hunt/peck for the right snapshots. It's not the final version with all the 100% correct interlockings and freight sidings, but close enough and has all of LIRR, MNRR, Penn, and GCT. But that's the only one...the CT, RI, NJ, and other maps are all gone for good. And he never did finish his MA map and get it out in draft form before duty called.
 #1325347  by Gerry6309

I am something of a map geek and really miss his work. They were the only geographically true rr maps I have ever seen.
 #1338280  by Jeff Smith

runningwithscalpels wrote:He's still alive and well, The EGE is pretty much right on with why the maps disappeared.

He's also busy with life and so on...
Unlocked at user request.