Railroad Forums 

• BERy Trivia / Seashore Trivia

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1326942  by Gerry6309

MBTA3247 wrote:Milton, Belmont, and Chelsea
Milton was served by only 4 stops on the High Speed line.

Chelsea had two routes, both reaching Garish Av. via the Meridian and Chelsea Street Bridges.

Service in both was dominated by the Eastern Mass.

Service in Belmont, though provided by only two lines was dominated by the Elevated, which served most of the town.

Another municipality got far less service.

Two out of three isn't bad!
 #1327035  by Gerry6309

WatertownCarBarn wrote:Newton?
Correct:

The Elevated inherited rights on Tremont, Park, Washington and Centre Streets from the West End. Although these were originally two separate routes terminating at Nonantum Sq. (Newton Corner), the routes in the area were revised to terminate at Watertown Square/Carhouse, making Nonantum Sq. a way station on a single route. The bulk of Newton Service was provided by the Middlesex & Boston Street Ry., though some joint, through service was operated for a time. This short segment would remain the El's and MTA's only service to Newton until the Riverside Line opened in July of 1959.

Congratulations 3247 and Watertown!

New Question:

Charles St. Station (Red Line) was never completed. What was missing?
 #1327065  by Gerry6309

Type7trolley wrote:
Gerry6309 wrote: Charles St. Station (Red Line) Was never completed. What was missing?
Weren't there plans to build an office building on top of it?
Correct!

It would have been the Elevated's headquarters, built on extra heavy columns at its four corners, which remain today.

Two in a row answered quickly and correctly ... I need to come up with something harder.

Meanwhile: What are the former names for these Blue Line stations:

Wonderland
Revere Beach
Orient Heights
Wood Island Park
Aquarium(2)
State
Government Center

Bonus: The BRB&L had a Wood Island Park Station at a different location. Where was it?
 #1327097  by deathtopumpkins

Government Center - Scollay Under
State - Devonshire for the blue line (I think), with Milk and State originally the orange line platforms
Aquarium - Atlantic

I'm not as familiar with the East Boston and Revere stations, but I'm gonna guess:
Wood Island - Day Square
Orient Heights - ?
Revere Beach - Crescent Beach?
Wonderland - Bath House?
 #1327122  by The EGE

Aquarium was originally Atlantic on the East Boston Tunnel, and State Street on the Atlantic Avenue Elevated.

The BRB&L Wood Island station was located to the south along its ROW, right around what is now the end of Prescott Street. The modern Wood Island Was Day Square until 1954 and then Wood Island Park until 1967, long after Wood Island Park itself had been destroyed for Logan Airport.

Orient Heights was Winthrop Junction until 1892. Revere Beach was formerly Crescent Beach. Wonderland was Bath House; it was not original, but instead built around 1900 when the line was moved landward for the construction of Revere Beach Boulevard.
 #1327306  by Gerry6309

deathtopumpkins wrote:Government Center - Scollay Under
State - Devonshire for the blue line (I think), with Milk and State originally the orange line platforms
Aquarium - Atlantic

I'm not as familiar with the East Boston and Revere stations, but I'm gonna guess:
Wood Island - Day Square
Orient Heights - ?
Revere Beach - Crescent Beach?
Wonderland - Bath House?
Correct as far as you went, see below.
 #1327307  by Gerry6309

The EGE wrote:Aquarium was originally Atlantic on the East Boston Tunnel, and State Street on the Atlantic Avenue Elevated.

The BRB&L Wood Island station was located to the south along its ROW, right around what is now the end of Prescott Street. The modern Wood Island Was Day Square until 1954 and then Wood Island Park until 1967, long after Wood Island Park itself had been destroyed for Logan Airport.

Orient Heights was Winthrop Junction until 1892. Revere Beach was formerly Crescent Beach. Wonderland was Bath House; it was not original, but instead built around 1900 when the line was moved landward for the construction of Revere Beach Boulevard.
With Winthrop Junction added to the mix. Also the Correct answer on Wood Island Park BRBL.

Only the Original name for Aquarium remains unrevealed. It was changed before the station opened!
 #1327397  by Gerry6309

Rbts Stn wrote:Are you looking for Atlantic Avenue for Aquarium?
No... But it is Atlantic ___
 #1327542  by Gerry6309

diburning wrote:Atlantic Wharf?
No. ...T Wharf Under would be a great idea. Think residential, like a certain street in Lower Manhattan.
 #1327757  by Gerry6309

diburning wrote:Grasping at straws here at this point...

Broadway?
Boardwalk?
Park?
Is there a Boardwalk in Manhattan that people live under?

Last Clue: Take the A Train, Not the E (Even New York has connecting stations with different names!)