Railroad Forums 

• Park Street Station

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1299321  by ebtmikado

I know that the Red Line station at Park Street was known as Park Street Under,
but was the Green Line station ever known as Park Street Over, or is this just
a faded memory of a fantasy I had some 50 years ago?
Lee Carlson
 #1299331  by F-line to Dudley via Park

ebtmikado wrote:I know that the Red Line station at Park Street was known as Park Street Under,
but was the Green Line station ever known as Park Street Over, or is this just
a faded memory of a fantasy I had some 50 years ago?
Lee Carlson
No. Any station with an "...Under" was suffixed in the "...Under" part only. It's self-explanatory that "not-Under" means "Over", so they didn't ever do redundant suffixing on the upper-level transfer. In some cases the Over and Under had entirely different station names.
 #1299437  by MBTA3247

Additionally, Park Street Under and Scollay Square Under were both built after the Green Line platforms, which simply retained their original names.
 #1299532  by Gerry6309

The other "Under" station was South Station - See surviving tile sign on northbound platform - in this case the 'over' was an el stop about 90 feet up - not the railroad station. People used to add 'Under' to stations not deserving it. My aunt used to call Washington "Washington Street Under".
 #1299555  by jonnhrr

I miss the old station names - Devonshire (State on the Blue Line), MIlk, Union/Friend. A quirkiness that probably drove visitors crazy but one of the charms of the old BERy/MTA.

I guess Atlantic (now Aquarium) wasn't "Atlantic Under" because it was built before the Atlantic Ave. El?

Jon
 #1299665  by Gerry6309

jonnhrr wrote:I miss the old station names - Devonshire (State on the Blue Line), MIlk, Union/Friend. A quirkiness that probably drove visitors crazy but one of the charms of the old BERy/MTA.

I guess Atlantic (now Aquarium) wasn't "Atlantic Under" because it was built before the Atlantic Ave. El?

Jon
The Station above was STATE. There was no "UNDER" unless the Station names were the same.
 #1299693  by highgreen215

I may be wrong but wasn't the Harvard - Ashmont (pre-Red Line) station named WASHINGTON UNDER, even though the upper stations were SUMMER and WINTER?
 #1299715  by Gerry6309

highgreen215 wrote:I may be wrong but wasn't the Harvard - Ashmont (pre-Red Line) station named WASHINGTON UNDER, even though the upper stations were SUMMER and WINTER?
The name on the signs was plain WASHINGTON. Many people called it Washington Street Under though.
 #1324612  by The EGE

I'm trying to assume a complete history of Park Street from various sources on Wikipedia; here's what I've got so far. I have a pretty good understanding of how the station was modified up to about 1980, but I can't assemble a good timeline past then.

I have the following as current sources:
*From the NETransit history, the Red Line platforms were extended northwest sometime between 1984 and 1987 to accommodate 6-car trains.
* I have 1989 and 1990 maps in various formats (and most other maps after) explicitly designating it as handicapped accessible, and a 2000 map claiming accessibility for the Red Line level only.
*As of this 2007 report, elevator #804 (street to Red Line fare lobby) dated to 1991, #812 (GL eastbound to tunnel) and #823 (GL westbound to tunnel) dated to 1993, and #808 (fare lobby to RL) dated to 1987.
* Elevators #978 (surface to GL westbound fare area) and 979 (GL westbound to RL) opened on December 21, 2012, per MBTA press release.

So, it sounds like there were three separate renovations: the original four elevators and the RL platform extension in the 1980s, more modifications around 2003 (which i can't find any sources for), and the two additional elevators in 2012. Does anyone have further details / sources?
 #1324714  by CRail

The opposite of under is "upper". Nowhere except regarding busways will you see this in print, but I've often heard and referred to several patforms as upper/under including Harvard and Porter as well as at stations like Park Street and Downtown Crossing.
 #1324794  by jwhite07

The EGE wrote:So, it sounds like there were three separate renovations: the original four elevators and the RL platform extension in the 1980s, more modifications around 2003 (which i can't find any sources for), and the two additional elevators in 2012. Does anyone have further details / sources?
The "around 2003" mods you refer to were probably the project to raise platform heights by eight inches for compatibility with the retractable wheelchair ramp systems on Type 8s, although most of that work was done in 2002.

Another notable but unmentioned renovation at Park Street was the renovation of the two remaining headhouses (there were originally four) between 2000 and 2002.

Both factoids from the March/April 2002 issue of Roll Sign magazine.
 #1325071  by The EGE

Thank you, that's exactly the sort of information I was looking for.
 #1326932  by Yellowspoon

Gerry6309 wrote:The Station above was STATE. There was no "UNDER" unless the Station names were the same.
IIRC: STATE was lower than Devonshire. The Orange Line passes under the Blue Line.
 #1327312  by Gerry6309

Yellowspoon wrote:
Gerry6309 wrote:The Station above was STATE. There was no "UNDER" unless the Station names were the same.
IIRC: STATE was lower than Devonshire. The Orange Line passes under the Blue Line.
Wrong STATE, at Atlantic Av. STATE was on an el structure, ATLANTIC was deep underground. There were some nifty elevators which traveled diagonally between the two. Another quirk TWO STATE stations and two BOYLSTON stations. Independent in both cases.
 #1327459  by Fred Rabin

The station on the Green Line was "Boylston Street". The southbound station on the Orange Line was "Boylston".