Railroad Forums 

• State Transportation Library

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1277011  by banshee

Looks like the Sanborn library is being boxed up. Is DOT shuttering the old girl?
Wonder what George would think?
 #1277012  by BostonUrbEx

I'd be shocked if they were. Maybe they're packing everything up to be sent somewhere for digitizing? It is horrendously cluttered and very, very poorly organized.

I certainly hope they're just working on a remodel or digitization project of some sort!
 #1277299  by banshee

Adams_Umass_Boston wrote:News to me. I am a librarian, not at the STL. I will ask around tomorrow.
Heard the librarian is being reassigned.
doesn't look good
 #1277829  by BostonUrbEx

A MassDOT PR employee checked with some folks for me and said the library ain't goin' nowhere. There was recently some work to upgrade the lighting and update the walls. The space was also shuffled around for some recent meetings.
 #1277903  by Cosmo

BostonUrbEx wrote:A MassDOT PR employee checked with some folks for me and said the library ain't goin' nowhere. There was recently some work to upgrade the lighting and update the walls. The space was also shuffled around for some recent meetings.
YAAAAY!!! :-D
(Good to know,as I haven't gotten a chance to visit it yet.)
 #1290055  by WickedPissah

Word is the library is actively being packed up today. I'm not sure if it's some stuff, everything or what, just that stuff is being put into boxes. I'm exhausting my resources trying to figure out what is happening. Anyone here have any info?
 #1290102  by Adams_Umass_Boston

I am a Librarian, and I reached out and emailed a few people connected with it and heard nothing back. I just took it as its the summer and people are away or busy. Summer is always a big time for projects at libraries.

I will make some calls on Monday and see what is up.
 #1290639  by Adams_Umass_Boston

First, I never could get the STL on the phone. My Messaged went unanswered.

I called around to other people who's library's are linked to the STL and they found someone there who sent back a brief email stating that they are just replacing the carpets.

Head shrug. Sorry I could not get anything else.
 #1303839  by diburning

I spoke to a coworker who is the daughter of someone who used to be the senior buyer of materials at massdot. She told me that the library is gone and will not return. I was also told that parts of 10 Park Plaza including the room the library was in has been leased to Emerson College.

This article seems to agree with the info I was given.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2014/1 ... nt=event25
 #1303848  by highgreen215

I sure hope the library materials reappear somewhere - I have unfinished business in researching a grandfather's career. He started with horsecars at the barn in Brookline Village and finished at the Cypress Street Car House in 1938. There's a lot of information on him yet to be discovered in that library material.
 #1303861  by BostonUrbEx

The library will probably reappear in the new Transportation Building. Although, I don't think anyone knows where and when the new Transportation Building will be built just yet...