Railroad Forums 

• Remembering Paul Joyce (3rd Rail)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1239501  by MBTA1016

BigUglyCat wrote: We're missing you, 3rd Rail. :(

We sure are BUC, thanks to sery for leaving that quiz thread up. People may fill in the gaps in the early history of the T but Paul's knowledge of it won't be replaced.

R.I.P Sarge :(
 #1241266  by MBTA1016

Sorry for the double post but I found something from the marathon bombing thread that Paul had posted and I think it's fitting as he was a Boston PD member.
Attachments:
(5 KiB) Downloaded 8166 times
 #1251270  by Teamdriver

My Rail RIP

I remember a conversation about the big Walter trucks that did the MTA towing but cant find it, I found a picture of one at work , In Thompson Square . So, old pal , for you....

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... 4928_n.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1251274  by jonnhrr

Great photo teamdriver. Thompson Sq had to be the coolest of the El stations (well except for Forest Hills and of course Sullivan Sq).

Jon
 #1251310  by jaymac

For those who may not have tried it yet, YouTube is a treasure house of Walters.
 #1251347  by MBTA1016

jonnhrr wrote:Great photo teamdriver. Thompson Sq had to be the coolest of the El stations (well except for Forest Hills and of course Sullivan Sq).

Jon
Great job driver. That's a great pic for Paul
 #1256128  by streetduck

Haven't been on this website for awhile and was shocked to hear that Paul was no longer with us since last August. He was always nice to me and I enjoyed his discussions in this forum or in person. We talked about trackless trolleys around Cleary Square, etc. plus other transit stuff. Very sorry and sad about this.
 #1263422  by JCitron

This is terribly sad news to hear/read. I too haven't been around in awhile and just came across this thread. He and I had some nice conversations about the EL on a few occasions. He surely is missed.

John
 #1266341  by MBTA1016

I don't know if I speak for everyone when I say this but, I'm still not used to Paul not being around. I always looked forward to his posts. He always had a some real interesting information about something and if he didn't know about something for sure he would work with others on the board. You are still missed Paul :( Many will fill in but no one will replace you.
 #1266375  by MEC407

I feel the same way. A few days ago I saw something about the Flying Yankee that I wanted to tell Paul about, and then I had one of those "oh wait, I can't tell him anymore" moments. :(
 #1266376  by BostonUrbEx

MEC407 wrote:I feel the same way. A few days ago I saw something about the Flying Yankee that I wanted to tell Paul about, and then I had one of those "oh wait, I can't tell him anymore" moments. :(
I've recently become alot more interested in streetcars of the past. I keep wishing I could share findings with him, and have him share his much, much greater wealth of knowledge with me. Paul loved all things traction, and he was quite the source. And if he didn't know something or founds something disputable, he'd know where to direct you for more research. :(
 #1285473  by Teamdriver

Remembering you , my Rail , one year ago, RIP !

Domine, Jesu Christe, Rex gloriae, libera animas omnium fidelium defunctorum de poenis inferni, et de profundo lacu: libera eas de ore leonis, ne absorbeat eas tartarus, ne cadant in obscurum; sed signifer sanctus Michael re praesentet eas in lucem sanctam: Quam olim Abrahae promisisti et semini ejus.

Hostias et preces tibi, Dom ine, laudis offerimus: tu suscipe pro animabus illis quarum hodie memoriam facimus: fac eas, Domine, de morte transire ad vitam: Quam olim Abrahae promisisti et semini ejus.
 #1285486  by jaymac

Teamdriver-
Thanks for the memento mori and thanks for kicking it old school...
 #1285492  by NorthWest

I'm new to the site, but I've been reading a lot of the older posts about traction topics. I've found so much information in Paul's posts, and wish I was around to ask him questions.
 #1291604  by Teamdriver

" City officials joined Roslindale residents today in officially starting the Substation project that by next year will feature 43 apartments and a restaurant called the Third Rail.
Developer Peregrine Group is building the new apartments on what used to be the Higgins Funeral Home and its parking lot and renovating the long dormant old trolley substation built in 1911 by the Boston Elevated Railway (using a design from the same architect responsible for the Custom House tower). Peregrine is working with Roslindale Village Main Street and Historic Boston, which helped raise funds for the project.''

http://www.universalhub.com/2014/roslin ... restaurant" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a story about the old MTA power plant on the corner of Washington street and Cummins hwy in Roslindale Square that is being redeveloped. It will have a restaurant, called the Third Rail. I do not know how they chose that name.But it is coincidental at least, that the 3rd Rail was brought up on Washington street ,and was buried out of the Sacred Heart Church on Cummins hwy., the two streets that corner this project. Long live the 3rd Rail , and the legend of the 3rd Rail !