Railroad Forums 

• If a train de-rails ...

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1208141  by Yellowspoon

What does it take to get a train back on the rails. How long does it take?

On Tuesday, 20-Aug-13, on the noon news, they had a live overhead camera shot of a 2-car train at Coolidge Corner that had derailed. Judging from the picture, it appears that the train was attempting to take the crossover just west of Harvard Street. Since one half of the mid-section of one car was lower than the other end of the mid-section, it appeared that at least one pair of wheels was off the tracks at the time. The news reporter gave no indication as to how long the train had been immobilized. Although the overhead camera shot only lasted about 20 seconds, no one appeared to be working on the problem at the time. At around 1:30, I was in the area and everything appeared back to normal. No one was in the area and the trains were running in both directions.

I realize that each case is different, but what is usually involved at getting a train back on the tracks? Do they have a crane at the ready? If so, where does it wait when not in use? What do they use if the derailment is in the tunnel? Is it just a matter of a jack pushing the train back onto the tracks. What equipment is normally used? Is re-railing a train more frequent than I imagine?
 #1208149  by sery2831

The subway and trolley lines normally do not use cranes due to overhead wires and tunnels. Jacks and airbags are the norm for re-railing. Each line has an emergency box truck with the supplies to re-rail cars. The Green Line also has a Boeing LRV outfitted with these supplies that is normally kept between Boylston and Arlington Stations. This was a minor derailment and was cleaned up pretty quickly. As you said each case is different, some accident clean ups require track repairs and testing.
 #1208631  by BostonUrbEx

sery2831 wrote:The Green Line also has a Boeing LRV outfitted with these supplies that is normally kept between Boylston and Arlington Stations.
Actually, I haven't seen it there in weeks (maybe months?). I had been meaning to ask where it was -- I presume Riverside. The track has been sitting empty, and I never realized before it was empty that the track they store it on is a stub end. I thought it connected to both tracks.
 #1208644  by djimpact1

BostonUrbEx wrote:
sery2831 wrote:The Green Line also has a Boeing LRV outfitted with these supplies that is normally kept between Boylston and Arlington Stations.
Actually, I haven't seen it there in weeks (maybe months?). I had been meaning to ask where it was -- I presume Riverside. The track has been sitting empty, and I never realized before it was empty that the track they store it on is a stub end. I thought it connected to both tracks.
BostonUrbEx, you are right about its whereabouts. I was told about a month or so ago that originally the LRV rerailer work car (3417) had propulsion issues not too far back, but after some repairs it was able to run on its own again. Then shortly after a few solo runs, it once again can't run on its own...at this point, I believe it can be powered-up but must be a trailing vehicle until 1) the T puts further repairs into it (which I fear they won't) or 2) it's replaced with a to-be-converted Type 7 work car, which I've been hearing "rumors" of for months.
 #1208719  by F-line to Dudley via Park

djimpact1 wrote:
BostonUrbEx wrote:
BostonUrbEx, you are right about its whereabouts. I was told about a month or so ago that originally the LRV rerailer work car (3417) had propulsion issues not too far back, but after some repairs it was able to run on its own again. Then shortly after a few solo runs, it once again can't run on its own...at this point, I believe it can be powered-up but must be a trailing vehicle until 1) the T puts further repairs into it (which I fear they won't) or 2) it's replaced with a to-be-converted Type 7 work car, which I've been hearing "rumors" of for months.
All 3 of the Boeing work cars are seriously ailing. The re-railer and track geo cars are operable but usually need to be accompanied. The green MoW car that lives at Reservoir is pretty much kaput. Converting a couple 7's to work duty is an option in the current rebuild program. And can be done without losses to the revenue fleet because they are expected to try to re-mate a few salvaged ends from wrecks to return 2 more cars to service.

Chances are they will have to exercise it because the Boeings can't actively trainline with anything else. If the propulsion is so shot they can't go out alone any longer, they make truly lousy trailers having to be cumbersomely pushed into place by a 7 or 8. Plus the re-railer and MoW car were retired from revenue service before the '96 midlife overhaul, so they are in much worse component shape than the rebuilt cars that were retired 6 years ago.
 #1209192  by jboutiet

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:Plus the re-railer and MoW car were retired from revenue service before the '96 midlife overhaul, so they are in much worse component shape than the rebuilt cars that were retired 6 years ago.
Why wouldn't they have swapped these cars with newer overhauled cars when they retired the fleet in '07?
 #1209241  by F-line to Dudley via Park

jboutiet wrote:
F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:Plus the re-railer and MoW car were retired from revenue service before the '96 midlife overhaul, so they are in much worse component shape than the rebuilt cars that were retired 6 years ago.
Why wouldn't they have swapped these cars with newer overhauled cars when they retired the fleet in '07?
No. Because re-railer 3417 had extensive modifications done to it to retrofit it for its very specialized job. They can't just hot-swap the equipment into any old car. I'm not sure what MoW 3553 car has that was special, but that's probably in the same boat. They were yanked from revenue service and converted 1-2 years before the rebuild program began, so did not get converted inside the program like the Type 7's may be.

Track geometry car 3448 is one of the rebuilds, and was in revenue service until 2005. NETransit lists that one as awaiting repair, so it is in good enough to run again while 3417 has to be towed into place from now on to go to work and 3553 probably never moves again until it's scrapped.
 #1209804  by CRail

I don't mean to nitpick, but it's 3453.
 #1215949  by Billthee

Just saw a crew rerailing a double set on the lead into the reservoir yard. We were creeping along on the outbound track so I got a pretty good look at them setting up the jacking system.
 #1216360  by ACeInTheHole

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:
sery2831 wrote:3818 derailed on the derail.
That's a hell of a way to test the derails to make sure they work. :P
They should do some "extended testing" to see if the derails will work with repeated use by pushing every last Rotem over one.. Preferably one next to a deep ditch.