Railroad Forums 

• What's Up with the Lowell Line?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1195730  by l008com

So the other day, I noticed on the information panel in Winchester, a 20 - 40 minute delay due to "construction".
I've also noticed that the cross street signals, and many others, have been constantly lit up, not just when there's traffic near by.
And tonight I noticed a picture on nerail showing a re-routed Downeaster through Reading.

So what is this mystery construction? And where is it exactly?
 #1195746  by BostonUrbEx

l008com wrote:So the other day, I noticed on the information panel in Winchester, a 20 - 40 minute delay due to "construction".
I've also noticed that the cross street signals, and many others, have been constantly lit up, not just when there's traffic near by.
And tonight I noticed a picture on nerail showing a re-routed Downeaster through Reading.

So what is this mystery construction? And where is it exactly?
There were buses between Anderson-Woburn and Wilmington this weekend. So perhaps it was related.

Wish I knew about the rerouted Downeaster trains. I only caught the Downeaster via Reading once, and that was by accident, so the pictures weren't good. :(
 #1195760  by BandM4266

In the description of the photo of the rerouted downeaster pic over on nerail it claims it was due to a culvert replacement on the Lowell line.
 #1195796  by sery2831

There was a culvert replacement between Anderson and Wilmington. They also replaced some rail in Wilmington Station. And there was some work done just north of North Billerica station. The line had a bus bridge from Anderson Station to Wilmington with two train sets covering both ends of the line.

Saturday the delays were anywhere from 40 mins to an hour, while Sunday delays were about 20 to 30 mins.
 #1352285  by BostonUrbEx

Cross St Bridge Replacement coming up!
October 17-18: Shuttle buses replacing Lowell Line service between Anderson and North Stations and Winchester and Lowell Stations from Saturday, October 17 through Sunday, October 18, from start to end of service.
Buses will replace train service between North Station and Anderson/Woburn stations from start to end of service on Saturday, October 17th through Sunday, October 18th to allow for necessary railroad bridge replacement at Cross Street in Winchester. Train service will operate between North Station and Winchester Center, and between Anderson/Woburn and Lowell.

Outbound passengers traveling from North Station to Anderson/Woburn, Wilmington, North Billerica, or Lowell will board a shuttle bus to Anderson/Woburn for connecting local train service to Lowell.

Outbound passengers traveling from West Medford, Wedgemere, or Winchester Center to Anderson/Woburn, Wilmington, North Billerica, or Lowell will alight train at Winchester Center and board a shuttle bus to station destination.

Inbound passengers traveling from Lowell, North Billerica, or Wilmington will alight at Anderson/Woburn and board a shuttle bus to Winchester Center, Wedgemere, West Medford, or North Station.

Please allow additional travel time as we are anticipating delays of approximately fifteen minutes.

Last Updated: 10/8/2015 6:07:30 PM
I presume the Downeaster will operate entirely via the Western Route.
 #1352301  by l008com

That's interesting. Are they replacing it with a similar bridge, or are they raising it up some so fewer trucks get stuck? That bridge doesn't actually look bad, not that I've poked around up there ;) Also I'm no bridge inspector heh.
 #1352311  by deathtopumpkins

Rockingham Racer wrote:Nothing about the Haverhill line trains operating that way. Western Route all the way as well?
All Haverhill trains already use the Western Route on weekends. The only ones that use the NH Main (Lowell Line) are weekday trains.
 #1352349  by BostonUrbEx

I'd like to know how the Amtrak/Keolis conflicts will work. 1209 vs 698 is already messy as it is. I wonder if 1209 will hold at WJ, 698 will clear WJ on the Wildcat, then 1209 continues, and 688 will back off the Wildcat and proceed down the Western Route?
 #1352355  by Rockingham Racer

BostonUrbEx wrote:I'd like to know how the Amtrak/Keolis conflicts will work. 1209 vs 698 is already messy as it is. I wonder if 1209 will hold at WJ, 698 will clear WJ on the Wildcat, then 1209 continues, and 688 will back off the Wildcat and proceed down the Western Route?
A good possibility. I've been on a train that did just that.
 #1352453  by sery2831

BostonUrbEx wrote:I'd like to know how the Amtrak/Keolis conflicts will work. 1209 vs 698 is already messy as it is. I wonder if 1209 will hold at WJ, 698 will clear WJ on the Wildcat, then 1209 continues, and 688 will back off the Wildcat and proceed down the Western Route?
I worked 1209 last night. 698 held us up for about 4 minutes at WJ. But we were late from the 30 mph restriction from Oak Grove to Greenwood! I would be willing to bet next week if 698 is on time 1209' will sit at Ash St. If 698 is late they will wait on the Lawrence end.
 #1352457  by GP40MC1118

1200/2200 follows 690
Amtrak 691 runs 20 minutes behind 1201/2201
1202/2202 follows Amtrak 692
1203/2203 stays ahead of Amtrak 693
1204/2204 should not have any conflicts
1205/2205 waits at Ash Street (actually Winn St overhead bridge) for Amtrak 694
1206/2206 meets Amtrak 695 at Fells
Amtrak 696/695 meet somewhere between Fells and Reading
1207/2207 should not have any conflicts
1208/2208 meets 697 between Fells and Ash Street
1209/2209 will meet Amtrak 698 at CPWJ with 698 taking the Wildcat.
1210/2210/Amtrak 699/1211/2211 should not have any conflicts.

This only if everyone is on time or there's no other issues.

Also RBB&B Circus is in the TD Garden that weekend. No Fitchburg service and bus shuttles on the Lowell Line. Plus I think the Head Of The Charles Regatta is that weekend too!

D