Railroad Forums 

• MBTA: Ridership Slightly Down

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1192284  by MBTA3247

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:I bet a few tenths of a percent of that deficit were racked up during the Blizzard, Marathon Bombings, and Marathon Manhunt system-wide shutdowns.
If they did things properly, those events would have been excluded from the data because they represent such massive deviations from the norm.
 #1192358  by BostonUrbEx

Ridership down and fare revenue is up. My guess is more people are taking more expensive portions of the system (like express buses and commuter rail) but alot less subway and local bus? I know Melrose Highlands has been filling up in the parking lot lately, and the last time that happened was right before the fare hikes of 2012. There's also a big campaign to reduce fare evasions, so that helps of course.

I'm also wondering if gas prices are responsible. Supposedly fracking is currently holding gas prices down by a very pretty penny this year.
 #1192387  by octr202

BostonUrbEx wrote:Ridership down and fare revenue is up. My guess is more people are taking more expensive portions of the system (like express buses and commuter rail) but alot less subway and local bus? I know Melrose Highlands has been filling up in the parking lot lately, and the last time that happened was right before the fare hikes of 2012. There's also a big campaign to reduce fare evasions, so that helps of course.

I'm also wondering if gas prices are responsible. Supposedly fracking is currently holding gas prices down by a very pretty penny this year.
Interesting observation - I've been feeling like the opposite is true, riding from the outer zones of the same line. I've felt like my trains aren't as crowded as they used to be (of course this time of year the ridership as a whole drops off).

I'd be really interested to see how those expensive portions of the system are performing, especially off-peak and weekend commuter rail. If we start seeing declines in off-peak ridership, it does start to raise the question of whether off-peak fares are needed.
 #1192407  by CircusFreakGRITZ

I've noticed many green line trains open all doors during off peak hours and people sneak in the back. This could also cause a "decrease" in ridership. Or perhaps more people are buying weekly passes BECAUSE the fares are higher, and being waved onto the bus or green line without their trips being counted.
 #1192552  by BostonUrbEx

octr202 wrote:
BostonUrbEx wrote:Ridership down and fare revenue is up. My guess is more people are taking more expensive portions of the system (like express buses and commuter rail) but alot less subway and local bus? I know Melrose Highlands has been filling up in the parking lot lately, and the last time that happened was right before the fare hikes of 2012. There's also a big campaign to reduce fare evasions, so that helps of course.

Interesting observation - I've been feeling like the opposite is true, riding from the outer zones of the same line. I've felt like my trains aren't as crowded as they used to be (of course this time of year the ridership as a whole drops off).

I'd be really interested to see how those expensive portions of the system are performing, especially off-peak and weekend commuter rail. If we start seeing declines in off-peak ridership, it does start to raise the question of whether off-peak fares are needed.
Hmm, interesting. With the exception of today (lots of seats?!), the 258 (only coming from Reading) has been crammed full every morning. Just the other week, there was a crowd of 10 of us standing at just one end of the cab car, and more standing at the other end.