Railroad Forums 

• Hank Investigates: Noisy MBTA trains

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1186796  by Disney Guy

I still remember the deafening roar as the pre-1960's Red Line trains hurtled through the Cambridge subway with all the windows open.

Can't watch videos, take too long to download onto my computer.
 #1186967  by Type7trolley

Why do they keep referring to it as brake noise? Do they just assume the operators are dragging their brakes through every curve? I mean the T flat out told them the cause of the noise and they still got it wrong.

I also like how they're engineers now... it's a step up from conductors I guess.
 #1191661  by DutchRailnut

depends what part of rail is greased.
 #1192041  by sery2831

Grease not only reduces noise but it extends the life of the rail and wheels. It's something that should be used on all tight curves in the subway!
 #1192044  by 3rdrail

Hmm...for my money, I would say that grease would definitely have an effect on braking distance. Why wouldn't it ? The very action of braking is caused by friction as a force. You remove some of the friction, you change the quotient for the braking equation. If anything, perhaps go to what was used at North Station on the Main Line El - water sprinklers. Water will also lengthen braking distance, but unlike grease it quickly dissipates by evaporation and absorbtion. Better yet, leave it the hell alone. It probably doesn't bother anyone and it sounds cool.
 #1192053  by AEM7AC920

It wouldn't impact braking distance much, you are greasing the flange of the wheel only not the tread which still sits completely ontop of the rail.
 #1192321  by 3rdrail

AEM7AC920 wrote:It wouldn't impact braking distance much, you are greasing the flange of the wheel only not the tread which still sits completely ontop of the rail.
You realize that a flange on a streetcar is roughly 3/8 of an inch in height, right ? Is your grease laser guided because any grease that I have ever seen spreads, especially if immense pressure is put upon it, to adjoining surfaces such as a rail head.
 #1192383  by octr202

On tight curves and loops, a big part is greasing the restraining rail, so there the grease is ending up on the inside of the wheel flange. Track grease is pretty thick stuff, so it also doesn't travel too far.

The stuff we're using up at Seashore is actually soy-based, much more environmentally friendly but it does wash out in the rain (it's water-soluble).
 #1192384  by AEM7AC920

3rdrail wrote:
AEM7AC920 wrote:It wouldn't impact braking distance much, you are greasing the flange of the wheel only not the tread which still sits completely ontop of the rail.
You realize that a flange on a streetcar is roughly 3/8 of an inch in height, right ? Is your grease laser guided because any grease that I have ever seen spreads, especially if immense pressure is put upon it, to adjoining surfaces such as a rail head.
Which still doesn't significantally impact braking distance enough to cause problems or trains to miss stops.
 #1196006  by Disney Guy

Greasing the restraining rail lengthens the life of the inside of the wheel flange and said restraining rail since most of the force needed to make the train go around the curve is exerted there.

But so long as the 3/8" or so of tread to rail head contact is maintained by both wheels on a given axle, slippage of at least one of the wheels on its respective rail, and therefore noise, will occur when that wheelset takes a curve.
 #1196013  by 3rdrail

AEM7AC920 wrote:
3rdrail wrote:
Which still doesn't significantally impact braking distance enough to cause problems or trains to miss stops.
And, you know this, how ?