Railroad Forums 

• Interesting Consist Discussion for the South Side

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1480669  by sonicdoommario

Last week there was a 6 double/2 flat set used on the Providence line (Control Car 1803) (order was from locomotive side: 4 doubles, 2 flats, 2 doubles).

This week that same 1803 set is now 7 cars, with 5 doubles and 2 flats, so one of the doubles was taken out at some point. Looks like it was removed from the front half, since the set is now 3 doubles/2 flats/2 doubles.

Looking at the inventory page, looks like there are a few more doubles out of service (mostly for the Kawasaki overhauling). Looks like they're doing the three remaining control cars and the remaining cars of the original 700-749 batch.
 #1481291  by sonicdoommario

Looks like Worcester trains this week will get some juiced up train sets to accommodate for extra riders while the Commonwealth Ave Bridge gets repaired.

They took that 6 double/2 flat set on the Providence line and Providence got a 7-car, 5 double/2 flat set in its place with a GP40 on it, so when you're near it the train sounds like standing right below a jet at an air force base.
 #1481469  by johnpbarlow

Here are a couple pix of the Worcester - Framingham shuttle train 2506 for Sunday 7/29/18 featuring HSPs at each end.
Attachments:
MBTA 2506 WUS 072918 2.jpg
MBTA 2506 WUS 072918 2.jpg (198.92 KiB) Viewed 6778 times
MBTA 2506 WUS 072918.jpg
MBTA 2506 WUS 072918.jpg (127.91 KiB) Viewed 6778 times
 #1487733  by sonicdoommario

Thursday night the train set that was used for 827 (6:10PM outbound) zipped through Attleboro on track 2, passing train 832 which was in the station. 827 normally goes to Pawtucket for the night when reaching Providence, and is not used for a return trip to Boston. What would've caused this? My only guess would've been that the Patriots train used on the Providence side that night would go directly to Pawtucket, so one of the trains had to come out, as there wouldn't have been enough room to fit a 7th train (the 827 that night was 3 doubles and 2 singles, and the Providence Patriots train was 4 doubles and 2 singles).

Speaking of which, what is the process for Patriots trains when the Patriots play on a weekday? I would think that when they play on Sunday (or the occasional Saturday game), they can just take a train out of Pawtucket and use that (since I think only one or two trains come out of Pawtucket during the weekend) and put it back when done, but what about during the weekday, when there are no trains in the layover yard to use? Do they send a non-revenue train down to Providence in the middle of the day?
 #1487739  by Trinnau

Patriot's games use 3 train sets, 1 for the train out of TF Green and 2 for the train out of Boston. So on a weeknight it can make things interesting for the regular passengers, especially if there are delays or trains with mechanical issues. My guess is they brought 827 back so they could use it in service for the rest of the evening. And yes, typically a non-revenue train is sent to Providence to make that train on a weeknight.
 #1489699  by Mbtagp40mc

I’ve never seen a 7 car set on the Needham line but we have one today. The 619 is being pulled by an HSP46 with 1714 on the back, a couple singles sprinkled in and the “No Brainer” car in the middle. Funky looking set.

Also, we were about to get on and the engineer that brought the train into the station didn’t pull the train up far enough and had to fix it before we got on. Thought that was funny.
 #1497333  by sonicdoommario

Looks like the 9-car set on the Worcester line somehow got used for Providence on the 823 Friday (and Worcester's 521 train that uses the 9-car set ended up getting the 8-car set used for 823). Since both 823 and 521 layover in Pawtucket/Worcester after finishing those trips, I'd imagine they'll probably get those sets switched during the weekend.