Railroad Forums 

• Cape Flyer

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1518030  by MaineCoonCat

I think the biggest obstacle is "last mile".. Trying to go from Hyannis to a place on Lower County Road in Dennisport without your own transportation could be a time consuming and costly endeavor.
 #1518037  by Rockingham Racer

It's been proven more than once that frequency of service is the major ridership builder. As has been noted before, an earlier departure on Friday--and perhaps even one Thursday departure--could attract more people.
 #1518041  by BandA

They should do a Cape Flyer pilot with a bunch of added trains.
 #1518051  by daybeers

Yes, first/last mile transit is a key issue for the Cape Flyer, most of the reason being the Cape itself is just so incredibly car-centric.
Falmouth Secondary to Otis wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:50 am Since it's opening year in 2013 with a ridership of 16,586 the Cape flyer has averaged between 12,625 in 2014 to a high of 13,781 in 2018. Seeing that it has been running for 6 years ridership should be equal to or exceeding 2013 levels by now. Ridership grew by only 1,156 over 5 seasons, not much growth considering how many people come to Cape during the summer. While extending service past labor day has already been proven to be a loss in ridership & revenue, expanding the schedule during the summer with a stop in Sandwich or West Barnstable would be more favorable for passengers to get to there final destination. Of course Tom Cahir is against adding any more stops as his objective is to funnel passengers into the CCRTA system and also he says to not add any more time to the overall trip time. Seems like the additional Bourne station stop this year didn't have any big impact on travel time as I observed the stop recently and it took about 7 minutes to complete.

https://massdot.mghpcc.org/tracker/shar ... pcapeflyer
Too bad ridership has not seen the typical growth most expected. Also, 7 minutes is actually quite long for a commuter station stop, probably because of the low-level platform. How many passengers were getting on and off?
 #1518070  by MaineCoonCat

Sadly, end of track is no longer in Dennis at Route 134. I'd bet if service was provided at least that far (or further!), along with a station stop in Yarmouth with connecting local circulation bus service (and taxis), ridership would increase.
 #1518074  by Falmouth Secondary to Otis

MaineCoonCat wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:06 pm Sadly, end of track is no longer in Dennis at Route 134. I'd bet if service was provided at least that far (or further!), along with a station stop in Yarmouth with connecting local circulation bus service (and taxis), ridership would increase.
End of track is now at Station Ave in Yarmouth due too the SEMASS transfer station in use. Mid Cape lumber on Rte. 134 being the only remaining customer on the end of the line discontinued receiving rail shipments in the late 90's leaving the rails unused unfortunately, resulting in the removal of 3.7 miles of tracks and the extension of the Rail trail to Station Ave. With the ever increasing traffic congestion on the Cape the Rail trail should have been built as a Rail with trail to keep the rails in place for future needs. With the 2018 average daily summer bridge vehicle counts at 131,583 for both bridges combined, there are a lot of people crossing the Canal on a daily basis which the Cape flyer could help out with if increased service was provided.

http://www.capecodcommission.org/index. ... incatid=48
 #1518078  by Falmouth Secondary to Otis

daybeers wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:04 pm Yes, first/last mile transit is a key issue for the Cape Flyer, most of the reason being the Cape itself is just so incredibly car-centric.
Falmouth Secondary to Otis wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:50 am Since it's opening year in 2013 with a ridership of 16,586 the Cape flyer has averaged between 12,625 in 2014 to a high of 13,781 in 2018. Seeing that it has been running for 6 years ridership should be equal to or exceeding 2013 levels by now. Ridership grew by only 1,156 over 5 seasons, not much growth considering how many people come to Cape during the summer. While extending service past labor day has already been proven to be a loss in ridership & revenue, expanding the schedule during the summer with a stop in Sandwich or West Barnstable would be more favorable for passengers to get to there final destination. Of course Tom Cahir is against adding any more stops as his objective is to funnel passengers into the CCRTA system and also he says to not add any more time to the overall trip time. Seems like the additional Bourne station stop this year didn't have any big impact on travel time as I observed the stop recently and it took about 7 minutes to complete.

https://massdot.mghpcc.org/tracker/shar ... pcapeflyer
Too bad ridership has not seen the typical growth most expected. Also, 7 minutes is actually quite long for a commuter station stop, probably because of the low-level platform. How many passengers were getting on and off?
The Bourne Station is a short in length car level platform so passengers have to walk through the other cars to get off if they are not already in those 2 front cars taking up time. Those 7 minutes was the time it took to slow down / stop / drop off passengers / resume the trip. While I have seen people get off ( usually 20 to 35 on Sunday mornings ) I haven't yet seen anyone getting on to continue on to Hyannis.
 #1518094  by Aerie

How about a sign/announcement at South Station saying "Passengers for Bourne should board the (first/last) two cars only" and then only those cars would have to unload at Bourne.
The Bourne Station is a short in length car level platform so passengers have to walk through the other cars to get off if they are not already in those 2 front cars taking up time. Those 7 minutes was the time it took to slow down / stop / drop off passengers / resume the trip. While I have seen people get off ( usually 20 to 35 on Sunday mornings ) I haven't yet seen anyone getting on to continue on to Hyannis.
 #1518097  by MaineCoonCat

Falmouth Secondary to Otis wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:18 pm
With the ever increasing traffic congestion on the Cape the Rail trail should have been built as a Rail with trail to keep the rails in place for future needs.
My thoughts exactly!
 #1518102  by Arborwayfan

Maybe/probably they will extend the Bourne platform now that they know it is a success. Until then directing Bourne pax to a particular pair of cars seems like a good, simple idea.

More trains would also make it possible to have some stop at Sandwich, some at West Barnstable, maybe some not stop at Wareham to make time for one of those other stops, etc.
 #1518104  by Falmouth Secondary to Otis

Looking at the future of the Bourne platform it will have to be eventually moved to behind the Gallo ice arena location as all indications from Federal / State agencies so far are that a new Bourne Bridge will be built along the platform side of the existing bridge. This new bridge construction activity will totally close down all access to that location for at least a couple of years, requiring a relocation of that stop. The Corps of Engineers is supposed to be finishing up it's study soon on Bridge replacements according to all reports, but new bridges certainly aren't going to happen anytime soon.
 #1518116  by Train60

The new Bourne stop seems to have taken almost all of the CapeFlyer ridership that used to get off in Buzzards Bay. On might assume then than most of the ridership for a station in Bourne is on the east side of the canal rather than than on the west side of the canal (the Buzzards Bay stop.) If the MBTA ever extends any service to Bourne does it make sense to end at Buzzards Bay? This years CapeFlyer ridership seems to suggest that the ridership is mostly on the Cape side. So -if- this is the case shouldn't any MBTA service cross the canal? Seems that just going to Buzzards Bay will force everyone on Cape to drive off-Cape to catch the MBTA train, as of course they must do now.

Also, whats up with Wareham? Someone said that only 4 people got of the CapeFlyer on a recent Friday evening. That's one passenger for ever hundred feet of platform! (they somehow got a 400' platform built there, correct?)
 #1518159  by GP40MC1118

Wareham never had decent numbers from what I saw. A very minor stop. Might work better as a commuter stop.

D
 #1518177  by Safetee

Wareham with the minor exception of The Onset area will never become a passenger rail tourist mecca. However, if commuter rail becomes a reality, then I expect Wareham will become a busy station.