Railroad Forums 

• Cape Flyer

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1507136  by Falmouth Secondary to Otis

Cohasset Narrows RR bridge update - 4th span now in place with tie installation in progress, one more to go !
Attachments:
4th span in place
4th span in place
DSCF2591.JPG (1.57 MiB) Viewed 2768 times
4th span in place
4th span in place
DSCF2594.JPG (1.6 MiB) Viewed 2768 times
 #1507894  by Falmouth Secondary to Otis

Cohasset Narrows RR Bridge update: Final span is now in place with ties being installed so remaining rail work on bridge approaches can be completed. Crane is being dismantled to be shipped off site as well.
Attachments:
Cohasset Narrows RR Bridge close to completion
Cohasset Narrows RR Bridge close to completion
DSCF2605.JPG (1.59 MiB) Viewed 2511 times
Final Span in place
Final Span in place
DSCF2600.JPG (1.61 MiB) Viewed 2511 times
 #1508397  by highgreen215

What’s the story regarding the new Flyer stop on the Cape side of the Canal? New high platform constructed? Will connecting bus service to Woods Hole be relocated here from Buzzards Bay? As this could be a major improvement, surprised there has been no discussion about this. Is it possible it’s happening very quickly to get out there before NIMBYs can interfere.
 #1508414  by Train60

highgreen215 wrote:What’s the story regarding the new Flyer stop on the Cape side of the Canal? New high platform constructed? Will connecting bus service to Woods Hole be relocated here from Buzzards Bay? As this could be a major improvement, surprised there has been no discussion about this. Is it possible it’s happening very quickly to get out there before NIMBYs can interfere.
Looks like the Bourne stop is a go for 2019. The new Bourne stop is now listed on the website.
https://capeflyer.com/reservations-tick ... o-capecod/

Looks like the CCRTA flew right under the NIMBY radar on this one.
 #1508422  by Falmouth Secondary to Otis

Train60 wrote:
highgreen215 wrote:What’s the story regarding the new Flyer stop on the Cape side of the Canal? New high platform constructed? Will connecting bus service to Woods Hole be relocated here from Buzzards Bay? As this could be a major improvement, surprised there has been no discussion about this. Is it possible it’s happening very quickly to get out there before NIMBYs can interfere.
Looks like the Bourne stop is a go for 2019. The new Bourne stop is now listed on the website.
https://capeflyer.com/reservations-tick ... o-capecod/

Looks like the CCRTA flew right under the NIMBY radar on this one.
While the new Bourne stop may be listed on the website, in reality it doesn't exist as you can see in the photo I just took.
Attachments:
Bourne stop under Bourne Bridge that doesn't exist yet
Bourne stop under Bourne Bridge that doesn't exist yet
DSCF2609.JPG (1.64 MiB) Viewed 2208 times
 #1508434  by Train60

Falmouth Secondary to Otis wrote:While the new Bourne stop may be listed on the website, in reality it doesn't exist as you can see in the photo I just took.
That's interesting. They could be planning to just open a set of doors on the road there, but in this case I wonder how they can say that the station stop is ADA compliant.

I guess we will find out on Fri. May 24th, at 7:20 pm when the 1st train of the season is scheduled to stop there.
Attachments:
Screenshot_2019-05-13 CapeFLYER Train Stations.png
Screenshot_2019-05-13 CapeFLYER Train Stations.png (16.7 KiB) Viewed 2178 times
 #1508442  by Falmouth Secondary to Otis

Seeing that no construction at all has occurred since the project was announced in December 2014, nothing they say exists except on paper. So we'll see what happens shortly. Also that Bourne Bridge RR crossing is on the priority list to be replaced & in service by June 29th 2019, along with 6 others as well. There are 16 crossings to be replaced this year on the Cape Main, Falmouth secondary and South Dennis secondary with the remaining 9 to be completed by November 29th 2019.
 #1508500  by BandA

I was watching NHK (Japan) news broadcast on WGBH-Boston about 20 years ago. In order to accommodate repair or other reasons, they would build a temporary station platform overnight using basically big Styrofoam blocks with a ?rubber-type? covering. Looked like a regular platform. Why can't they do that here, or with wood or precast concrete?
 #1508531  by Falmouth Secondary to Otis

Seeing that there has been no construction activity at the Bourne Bridge site or the previously suggested alternate Gallo Ice Arena site just a short distance away, I will be contacting my local Selectman to see if I can get a answer on this issue. I have heard conflicting local news as to where the actual Bourne stop is …. will post update when stop is confirmed.
 #1508633  by Train60

Not my picture, but it looks like they just dropped a prefab mini-high level on the site of the new CapeFLYER station stop in Bourne.
Attachments:
Bourne station - 2019_05_15.jpg
Bourne station - 2019_05_15.jpg (54.16 KiB) Viewed 1898 times
 #1508645  by Arlington

So somehow after all the talk about Gallo Ice Arena (and its perfectly-counter-seasonal acre of easy parking) we're back under the Bourne Bridge?

The Cape Flyer site says the address is "21 Bourne Bridge" and puts the google map marker immediately east (and on the ground below)
Bourne Station
21 Bourne Bridge (Bourne Recreation area at the Cape Cod Canal)
Bourne, MA
Get directions
Last edited by CRail on Thu May 16, 2019 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed.
 #1508654  by MickD

I still don't get why they don't stop at West Barnstable...
Why not make it that much easier for patrons
coming & going from the northside to patronize The Flyer,
instead of having to go all the way into downtown Hyannis..??
Doesn't matter to me,as I live in Dennisport and once I get off
even with a stop at the store I'm home
in a 1/2 hour..Just sayin'...
 #1508656  by highgreen215

I guess a mini-high is ok as a start to determine the how many riders will use this new location, especially as a connection for buses to Woods Hole and the Vineyard. If it proves popular, there may be a significant increase in dwell time with all those passengers exiting a single set of doors. This “study” will, however, provide guidance on whether to build a longer platform next year. This could be just what’s needed to increase Flyer ridership.
 #1508724  by Falmouth Secondary to Otis

Falmouth Secondary to Otis wrote:Seeing that there has been no construction activity at the Bourne Bridge site or the previously suggested alternate Gallo Ice Arena site just a short distance away, I will be contacting my local Selectman to see if I can get a answer on this issue. I have heard conflicting local news as to where the actual Bourne stop is …. will post update when stop is confirmed.
Back in the fall of 2014 MassDOT & Tom Cahir didn't discuss or update the Bourne Board of Selectmen / neighborhood residents about the placement of the Platform under the Bourne Bridge, until it had to be reviewed by the conservation commission which made the project get noticed. Since then the last they knew it was going in at the Gallo site from what I was told. Here we are in 2019 and here we go again with no discussion or updates to anyone and a instant platform appears out of nowhere to be in use next week ! I think Tom will be getting a request to appear before the Board once again to get grilled about what is going on now and what is planned for the future with Rail stops in Bourne. Not a good way to promote the Cape Flyer Tom when you don't even keep your own Town Government informed about what is going on.
 #1508745  by Train60

As I recall, in 2014 MassDOT wanted to build a 400' high-level platform and some additional track. To the average person a 400' high-level means a lot of people are going to be using the platform.

If I lived in Bourne or Falmouth I would have been upset that the project was shutdown back in 2014 since without this stop people in these town were left with two bad options -- pickup CapeFlyer passengers in Buzzard Bay and then deal with the Cape-bound traffic jam crossing the bridge, or tell people not to use the train, because we don't want to deal with the bridge traffic.

Hopefully the voices of many will speak up against the voices of the few who fear the dozen or so cars, and a shuttle bus to the ferry, will mean when the train stops for all of 5 minutes on a few days this summer.
Last edited by CRail on Thu May 16, 2019 11:07 pm, edited 4 times in total. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed.