Railroad Forums 

• Second Ruggles CR platform

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1291025  by deathtopumpkins

SM89 wrote:It was supposed to be built at the same time as the NU ISEB since they are next to each other and need to be integrated. I wonder if this will have any effect on NU's plans?
Northeastern seems to be ignoring this project. They've already broken ground on the new science and engineering building, and have touted the inclusion of a new bridge over the tracks (never mind the fact that there is already one right there adjacent to the bus loop). Nothing the university has publicly revealed about the new building ever mentions or shows a second platform at Ruggles.
 #1291049  by ns3010

Northeastern's ISEC is still on track for a late-2016 opening, and is completely independent of the Ruggles platform project. The new pedestrian bridge ("The Arc") is not, nor ever was, intended to provide access to the east end of the current platform or the planned second one. The new bridge is designed to provide more convenient and safe access to the new building and Columbus Ave, unlike the existing bridge which only ever dumped you into a big parking lot. (The bridge adjacent to the busway is now closed, as it only leads into the construction site, and the other bridge leads into a parking garage, which is inconvenient if you're trying to go directly to Columbus).

The University has no incentive, financial or otherwise, to push the Ruggles platform project, hence their lack of interest in how quickly or slowly moves.
 #1291191  by SM89

The busway bridge closure is only temporary. It will be reopened during certain phases of the project. The ped detour through the garage isn't really much of an inconvenience since it's pretty much a straight shot through.

I know the NU project is moving utilities that will be affected by the new Ruggles platform.
 #1291193  by Arlington

SM89 wrote:I know the NU project is moving utilities that will be affected by the new Ruggles platform.
Hmm...which utilities? The MBTA's platform construction plan shows (showed) moving train utilities (electrical conduits--signals and power, one presumes) from where they are trackside now, out into NU's parking lot so that the MBTA could dig any new trackside platform foundations (and then move all the utilities from their temporary NU alignment and back under the completed platform).
 #1291196  by SM89

Arlington wrote:
SM89 wrote:I know the NU project is moving utilities that will be affected by the new Ruggles platform.
Hmm...which utilities? The MBTA's platform construction plan shows (showed) moving train utilities (electrical conduits--signals and power, one presumes) from where they are trackside now, out into NU's parking lot so that the MBTA could dig any new trackside platform foundations (and then move all the utilities from their temporary NU alignment and back under the completed platform).
Ok I doubled checked. The MBTA was supposed to be relocating the utilities for their project while the ISEB foundation was being poured. The new MBTA retaining wall is to support the Arc Bridge, so I assume the MBTA's delays will delay the bridge construction.
 #1292476  by Arlington

Well, how timely! According to this post from Archboston.org, we're going to see the platform built!
MBTA just received $20 million in federal TIGER grant funding for the Ruggles Platform project-construction of a new 797-foot long, 12-foot wide high-level passenger platform between the Ruggles Station headhouse and Northeastern University's Columbus Avenue parking garage. This will allow all commuter rail/Amtrack trains to stop at Ruggles.
http://www.dot.gov/tiger
http://www.mbta.com/about_the_mbta/t_pr ... p?id=25059
And here's a link to just the "new" Tiger Grants (2014's) being announced today: http://www.dot.gov/tiger/14awards" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1302898  by Arlington

Where stands the project to add the outer CR platform at Ruggles? Its been 2 months since the $20m grant was awarded on what is a total-of-$30m project (http://www.fta.dot.gov/newsroom/news_re ... 16142.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

So my sense is that all the money is there and it is just a question of transitioning from shovel-ready to shovels turning. Has the construction gone out to bid? Has it started?
 #1302920  by The EGE

The MBTA hasn't updated that page since long before the money was awarded. The full design cycle is expected to take about a year (starting I do not know when) and construction 18 months.
 #1304002  by jamesinclair

800' platform and only 200' of canopy

Why is it that in a $30million project that first thing to be cut is the tiny expensive of providing a good customer experience?
 #1304032  by BostonUrbEx

jamesinclair wrote:800' platform and only 200' of canopy

Why is it that in a $30million project that first thing to be cut is the tiny expensive of providing a good customer experience?
I don't think an inbound platform at Ruggles needs very much canopy, to be honest. This platform will probably be used for alighting only 99% of the time.
 #1365753  by ohalloranchris

I found within the MBTA FY15-19 Capital Plan that the project does indeed appear to be funded (see attached PDF of a cut and paste from the report).

Anyone have any idea when construction might begin / finish? With the newly proposed schedules that have all inbound AM Stoughton trains stopping at Ruggles, that new platform will surely come in handy.
Attachments:
(71.36 KiB) Downloaded 185 times
 #1365765  by chrisf

ohalloranchris wrote:I found within the MBTA FY15-19 Capital Plan that the project does indeed appear to be funded (see attached PDF of a cut and paste from the report).

Anyone have any idea when construction might begin / finish? With the newly proposed schedules that have all inbound AM Stoughton trains stopping at Ruggles, that new platform will surely come in handy.
There are a lot of other trains that lose stops at Ruggles, so I doubt the total number of trains which are scheduled to stop there goes up much, if at all, with the new proposed schedules.
 #1365766  by Arlington

I never knew/thought that funding was in doubt (was it?). As a TIGER thing, the only hold up should be final design and making sure Northeastern is happy.
 #1365770  by ohalloranchris

Arlington wrote:I never knew/thought that funding was in doubt (was it?). As a TIGER thing, the only hold up should be final design and making sure Northeastern is happy.
I'm sure you are correct about the funding, I just wasn't sure myself. The project just seems so much more timely now with the new schedules coming, hopefully they will break ground soon.