Railroad Forums 

• Back Bay Station

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1296742  by dowlingm

Switching Providence Line services to electric traction might help with the fume levels... :wink:
 #1296791  by F-line to Dudley via Park

dowlingm wrote:Switching Providence Line services to electric traction might help with the fume levels... :wink:
That's not going to do nearly enough to mitigate it, though. It's the building ventilation itself that's the problem, not the source or quantity of exhaust. Trucks belching on the Pike contribute to the problem too.

I've been in there when the Lake Shore Limited came through with a P42 smoking even more than usual. I could see the smoke wafting up the stairs. I don't blame Amtrak for putting its foot down; it's a genuine health hazard for their employees, and the state has dawdled for way too long on a building repair design that's mostly complete but has never been funded for construction.
 #1296831  by MBTA3247

TrainManTy wrote:
ns3010 wrote:
MBTA3247 wrote:Working or otherwise, the ventilation system at Back Bay has never been sufficient to deal with all the diesel exhaust, however the exhaust has only rarely, if ever been a problem on the Orange Line platform or up in the main concourse.
Never a problem in the main concourse? The entire station is nauseating. I've never been in BBY when the main concourse wasn't disgusting.
Agreed. It's not too bad coming up from the Worcester platforms (5 and 7) and going down to the Orange Line, just a slight smell of diesel exhaust which doesn't bother me too much. But the main waiting area above tracks 1,2, and 3 is awful. I can't imagine how people can stand to wait there for a train, much less work in Dunkin' Donuts or Keolis' new customer service booth all day!
The times I've been there the concourse has been fine. Perhaps I've only been there on rare good days.
 #1296906  by Arlington

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote: It's the building ventilation itself that's the problem, not the source or quantity of exhaust. ,,,. I don't blame Amtrak for putting its foot down; it's a genuine health hazard for their employees, and the state has dawdled for way too long on a building repair design that's mostly complete but has never been funded for construction.
I've seen the lobby fully-fill with smoke (I think I was just railfanning one January weekend evening, so I think it was MBTA nec trains that were the problem ). I hope the state has ears to hear what Amtrak is "saying" in taking its staff out.
 #1297015  by dowlingm

We shouldn't make it a given that levels of particulates and smoke are harmful only once they reach a level which is bothersome to a mostly healthy person.
 #1299776  by jonnhrr

Will this get any better once the new MBTA locos start coming on line and the screamers and GP40MCs are retired?
Presumably they are built to tier 3 or tier 4 emission standards, not sure which.

Jon
 #1299780  by TrainManTy

The HSP46s are Tier 3. I hear this is why they're being pushed out of MPI so quickly, because Tier 4 regulations go into effect January 1st, 2015!

The stretch F40s are not being replaced yet, although who knows where they'll end up working.

Also, for those not aware, the exhaust comes into the station from tracks 1, 2, and 3 (Northeast Corridor). 5 and 7 (Worcester Line) are not a problem. I pass through there several times a week and there's never any smell of exhaust at platform level, while the smog is often visible on 1/2/3.
 #1299890  by F-line to Dudley via Park

jonnhrr wrote:Will this get any better once the new MBTA locos start coming on line and the screamers and GP40MCs are retired?
Presumably they are built to tier 3 or tier 4 emission standards, not sure which.

Jon
Given how severe the fumes problem is, somewhat less toxic locos aren't nearly enough to offset the problem. Especially with traffic on a steady upswing.

Though if you want to avoid reaching for a gas mask, stay away from there when the Lake Shore Limited comes in. Those Amtrak P42 smokers belch exhaust worse than any power on the commuter rail roster.
 #1300299  by Rbts Stn

TrainManTy wrote:The HSP46s are Tier 3. I hear this is why they're being pushed out of MPI so quickly, because Tier 4 regulations go into effect January 1st, 2015!

The stretch F40s are not being replaced yet, although who knows where they'll end up working.

Also, for those not aware, the exhaust comes into the station from tracks 1, 2, and 3 (Northeast Corridor). 5 and 7 (Worcester Line) are not a problem. I pass through there several times a week and there's never any smell of exhaust at platform level, while the smog is often visible on 1/2/3.
It's been a few years since I commuted to/from BB Station, but I used to HATE it when trains would regularly stop in the station with the engine inside the boarding area, when they could nearly as easily stop with the engine at least west of the platform. The difference in the smoke and smell in the waiting areas downstairs and upstairs was incredible when they stopped in the station.
 #1346876  by danib62

So Back Bay had its Amtrak agents back now. Anyone know exactly when they returned and what the T did to improve comditions if anything?
 #1346910  by theseaandalifesaver

[quote="jonnhrr"]Will this get any better once the new MBTA locos start coming on line and the screamers and GP40MCs are retired?

Jon[/quote]
No because that has nothing to do with the ventilation system in Back Bay.
 #1346916  by Arlington

^ how can you say "Nothing" with such assurance? Seems there are two ways to make BBY less smoky: put less smoke in (HSP fleet) or get better at venting it out. If the smokiest locos have been retired why might that not be sufficient for Amtrak to return (I am not saying the T need not fix the venting, but the solution here might include locomotives too)