Railroad Forums 

• Countdown Signs Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1216807  by boblothrope

A few weekends ago at Forest Hills, the signs were blank except for the clock.

Then when a train arrived, "Oak Grove BRD" appeared, and stayed up for the several minutes the train layed over in the station.

Is it always like that at Forest Hills? There's no point having a sign like that -- it provides no useful information.
 #1216852  by BostonUrbEx

boblothrope wrote:A few weekends ago at Forest Hills, the signs were blank except for the clock.

Then when a train arrived, "Oak Grove BRD" appeared, and stayed up for the several minutes the train layed over in the station.

Is it always like that at Forest Hills? There's no point having a sign like that -- it provides no useful information.
They were having trouble getting things ironed out at terminus points, so that may have been the reason. It may have been updated by now.
 #1218329  by jboutiet

jamesinclair wrote:
The EGE wrote:Looks like they're leaving space for countdown timers once those transponders are fully online in 2015.
Its simple software....

You can have full names today AND make room for clocks in 2015. Its not either/or.
Just because it's software, doesn't make it simple software. And besides, if they've determined that "Rivside" is going to be sufficient once the timers work, then it's sufficient now. If they need to change it to say "Riverside" so people understand it, then they might as well start shopping for the new displays that they'll need in 2015.
 #1221303  by JonY12

At North Quincy to Quincy Adams the countdown signs only worked for the Braintree side and were blank on the Alewife side, but starting at JFK/Umass both sides were working and on the southbound side displayed Ashmont and Braintree. Why can't they display only Braintree when Ashmont has a weekend diversion?
 #1230315  by Adams_Umass_Boston

diburning wrote:And for those who don't have a smartphone or don't want to download an app, there's always this site. (Warning, rated R) It shows work trains and deadhead moves as well!
That was a great site, but has not worked in months. I missed it though...
 #1230319  by ns3010

Looks like most or all of the Green Line stations are getting ready to get next train signs. As of a few days ago, all the signs from Park west to Hynes (including Prudential and Symphony) were displaying only the time in the top right corner. North Station, Haymarket, and GC have only been showing the time since their respective heavy rail platforms got countdown clocks. I'm guessing that Science Park is also only displaying the time now, but I can't be certain as I haven't been through there recently.
 #1251010  by The EGE

As of last week, the Kenmore audio announcements announce arrivals as they hit the platform:

"A B train to Boston College is arriving; followed by a C train to Cleveland Circle."

This indicates they are now integrating data not only from a sensor somewhere as far east as Park, but also a sensor within about a hundred yards of Kenmore. Progress!
 #1264730  by deathtopumpkins

Dunno if this is new or I just never noticed it before, but you can now see the train arrival information from countdown signs in stations on the MBTA website!

http://www.mbta.com/rider_tools/realtime_subway/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1266559  by CircusFreakGRITZ

The EGE wrote:This indicates they are now integrating data not only from a sensor somewhere as far east as Park, but also a sensor within about a hundred yards of Kenmore. Progress!
I believe it's the AVI sensor at Copley outbound (which determines which way the switch gets thrown--straight for B, C, D or left for E) which determines the "1)...2)" listing, and then the AVI sensor at Kenmore outbound which prompts the arrival announcement. Progress, yes, but using preexisting AVI equipment. :-D

By the way, in my opinion, the BEST tool for real-time subway and bus arrival information is http://mbtainfo.com. It's text-only, so it loads quickly on your phone, it's reliable, and it's FREE! I'm surprised more people haven't heard about it!
 #1266565  by The EGE

A presentation today at the public MBTA ROC meeting indicated that the Green Line is still on schedule for full tracking (GPS and AVI) by the end of the year. The data will look differently than the heavy rail lines to the MBTA, but will be formatted to appear the same as them for public data feeds.
 #1266745  by BostonUrbEx

The EGE wrote:A presentation today at the public MBTA ROC meeting indicated that the Green Line is still on schedule for full tracking (GPS and AVI) by the end of the year. The data will look differently than the heavy rail lines to the MBTA, but will be formatted to appear the same as them for public data feeds.
There's currently a bid out for the project. AVI in the tunnels (and near tunnels, to account for locating delay when surfacing), with GPS above ground.
 #1299519  by deathtopumpkins

Apparently above-ground Green Line tracking will go live this afternoon!

http://bostinno.streetwise.co/2014/10/2 ... real-time/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's an unexpected surprise! Underground tracking is still scheduled for next year though.
 #1311921  by boblothrope

boblothrope wrote:It's no fun to guess wrong when there are trains parked on both tracks. Train operators hardly ever make an announcement before they close the doors and go. There used to be light-up "Next Train" signs [at Alewife], but they were removed a few years ago.
Last Friday I noticed that after several years, the backlit signs at Alewife which say which train leaves first are working again!

Unfortunately the panels still say "Ashmont/Braintree ->" instead of "Next train ->". But some people will figure out what they mean.