Railroad Forums 

• Orange Line Past

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1084147  by 3rdrail

In it goes ! Thanks, John ! We're up to 29 !!!

Richard's
The Fireside
The Tollgate Inn
Concannon's
Slattery's
The Drinking Fountain
The Midway Cafe
Doyle's Cafe
The Old Stag
JA Club
The Plainsman
Patio Lounge
The Highland Tap
Aga's
Mellen's Tavern
Louie's Lounge
Basin Street South
Big Jim's Shanty
Gentlemen's Bar
Palm Gardens
Hotel Roosevelt "Cafe"
Pussycat
Centerfolds
The Intermission Lounge
Jerome's
663 Lounge
Naked i
Two O'Clock Lounge
Izzy Ort's
 #1084185  by Teamdriver

jonnhrr wrote:Wasn't there a Mellen's Tavern at the corner of Washington St and Mass Ave? I think it's the one I remember seeing it from the train when it made the Northampton St. stop. There were usually a group of disreputable looking people hanging around outside.

Jon
Here you go ,
Mellen's Tavern

Tavern
1789 Washington Street, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Founded Unknown
Existed 1966
Closed Unknown
http://pastmapper.com/db/Mellen's_Taver ... A_(_-_1966_-_)
 #1084200  by Teamdriver

Turf Tavern was the gentlemens bar , Red Fez was previously Old Oak Tavern I believe ,There was a Half Way Tavern by Mystic street ,a Donovan's tavern nearby , Guthro&McCabe's near East Newton,
a Butler's cafe by East Concord , a Peter&Huck's the other side of E Concord ,a Heavey's cafe nearby those two , a Shannon Cafe by East Springfield , the Green Cafe just south of Mass ave , East Side Tavern just past Mellen's , The missing Sam's ( Valentine corner not Marcella ) Egelston grill Columbus ave corner , a Mike's across from the Fountain near the car barn ,

Wow what a chore, this info is on or about 1966 , from Pastmapper.com
 #1084246  by 3rdrail

Wow, 17 additional taverns. Excellent ! Let's run another day or so with this before we do a final tally and ratio. Thanks, TD !!! :-)

Richard's
The Fireside
The Tollgate Inn
Concannon's
Slattery's
Mike's
The Drinking Fountain
The Midway Cafe
Doyle's Cafe
The Old Stag
JA Club
The Plainsman
Egleston Grille
Sam's
Heavey's Cafe
Patio Lounge
The Highland Tap
Aga's
Mellen's Tavern
Eastside Tavern
Louie's Lounge
Basin Street South
Big Jim's Shanty
Green Cafe
Turf Tavern
Peter & Huck's
Butler's Cafe
Guthro & McCabes
Donovan's Tavern
Half Way Tavern
Old Oak Tavern
Shannon Cafe
Turf Tavern
Palm Gardens
Hotel Roosevelt "Cafe"
Pussycat
Centerfolds
The Intermission Lounge
Jerome's
663 Lounge
Naked i
Two O'Clock Lounge
Izzy Ort's

43 and counting !!! (Who knows the big MTA bar on this list ?)
 #1084565  by 3rdrail

Nope, not Concannon's TD...but close ! Ok, kiddies. I remembered about 20 new bars on the El's route overnight bringing us to a total of 62 !!! A slight change in plan. I thought about the rule that the El has to be directly below or above the bar to get on the list. But then, it dawned on me that the very purpose for the list in the beginning was to check the number of bars along the Forest Hills to Essex El that would impact the El itself. With that in mind, surely a bar that was within a half block of the El would have the same effect as one directly above or below, don't you agree ? So, with that in mind, the parameters for our bar list is that they must be within 1/2 block. Anyone have any others ?

Here's mud in yer eye !

Richard's
The Fireside
The Tollgate Inn
Concannon's
Slattery's
Mike's
The Drinking Fountain
The Midway Cafe
Doyle's Cafe
The Old Stag
JA Club
The Plainsman
Egleston Grille
Sam's
Heavey's Cafe
Patio Lounge
The Highland Tap
Aga's
Mellen's Tavern
Eastside Tavern
Louie's Lounge
Basin Street South
Big Jim's Shanty
Green Cafe
Turf Tavern
Peter & Huck's
Butler's Cafe
Guthro & McCabes
Donovan's Tavern
Half Way Tavern
Old Oak Tavern
Shannon Cafe
Turf Tavern
Palm Gardens
Hotel Roosevelt "Cafe"
J.J.Foley's
OK Corral
Boston Bunnies
Four Corners
Boston Bunnies
Centerfolds
Glass Slipper
Good Time Charlies
Mousetrap Cabaret
Club 66
The Golden Nugget
The Novelty Lounge
Pal Joey's
The Intermission Lounge
The Golden Banana
Jerome's Lounge
Sneaky Pete's Hideaway Lounge
Pink Pussycat Lounge (Pic-a-dilly Lounge)
Teddy Bare
Living Room
663 Lounge
Naked i
Two O'Clock Lounge (The Downtown Lounge)
The Gilded Cage (Hotel Paramount)
Playland Cafe
Izzy Ort's
Normandy Lounge

62 and counting !!! (Who knows the big MTA bar on this list ?)
 #1084690  by 3rdrail

The Gateway - you got it. It'll be on the next updated list. I've come up with a few more. Seems like we're slowing down a bit so let's extend our reach just a tad up one station to Summer/Winter (Downtown Crossing). Seems to make sense as that would be the workhorse shuttle in both directions. So, Forest Hills to Summer/Winter, 1/2 block either side of the El, either above or below. Good luck !
 #1084736  by wicked

A White Castle in Chinatown?
 #1084747  by 3rdrail

Yes, I remember it as well. It was tucked in on Kneeland a few feet down from Wash. on the n side of the street. Sat kitty corner at a little alley. Never ate there- don't know if I'd want to.
 #1084774  by 3rdrail

I'll take your word for it Kev, but I thought that I distinctively remember a White Castle with their castle motif around the top. I suppose that that could have represented a "tower" as well, but I still think that it was white castle. Anyway, it doesn't make any difference because they were serving burgers, such as they were, and not booze. By the way, I just picked up another one. We'll have the grand unveiling tomorrow at which time we'll thumb our noses to the Dot Ave. Red Line crowd who think that they hold the record. How dare they !!!
Richard's
The Fireside
The Tollgate Inn
Concannon's
Slattery's
Mike's
The Drinking Fountain
The Midway Cafe
Doyle's Cafe
The Old Stag
JA Club
The Plainsman
Egleston Grille
Sam's
Heavey's Cafe
Biarritz Lounge
Patio Lounge
The Highland Tap
Aga's
Mellen's Tavern
Eastside Tavern
Louie's Lounge
Basin Street South
Big Jim's Shanty
Green Cafe
Turf Tavern
Peter & Huck's
Butler's Cafe
Guthro & McCabes
Donovan's Tavern
Half Way Tavern
Old Oak Tavern
Shannon Cafe
Turf Tavern
Palm Gardens
Hotel Roosevelt "Cafe"
J.J.Foley's
OK Corral
Boston Bunnies
Four Corners
Boston Bunnies
Centerfolds
Glass Slipper
Good Time Charlies
Mousetrap Cabaret
Club 66
The Golden Nugget
The Novelty Lounge
Pal Joey's
The Intermission Lounge
The Golden Banana
Jerome's Lounge
Sneaky Pete's Hideaway Lounge
Pink Pussycat Lounge (Pic-a-dilly Lounge)
Teddy Bare
Living Room
663 Lounge
Naked i
Two O'Clock Lounge (The Downtown Lounge)
The Gilded Cage (Hotel Paramount)
Playland Cafe
Gateway
Izzy Ort's
Normandy Lounge
Blue Sands
Peter & Harry's
Avery Bar
Stoddards
Blackfriars
 #1084796  by Teamdriver

My Rail , I offer as evidence,

http://www.agilitynut.com/eateries/wt2.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Tower_Hamburgers
I think it had many other lives as an independent restaurant, from a slider joint up to a china type restaurant, before becoming whatever it is now.
 #1084829  by 3rdrail

You didn't have to prove it. I think that I have always thought that one was the other or vice versa. I didn't realize that there were two distinctive companies until now. I never ate there, probably a result of the fact that I was very young at the time, and when I was eating down that way that it would always be at the best pizza shop in town - the King of Pizza at Boylston/Wash. Do you remember the guy flipping the pizzas with the audience watching on the sidewalk through the window ? Good stuff. You know, that's another tie-in that could be collected - a restaurants off the El. There were some really good ones too. Doyles - the bakeries that made up Syrian bread right out of the oven - Red Fez - Premier Deli - Essex Deli - Jordan's counter at the Summer St. Station Concourse (Charcoal-broiled hamburgers) - the list could go on and on. Although perhaps not with names as interesting as "Sneaky Pete's Hideaway Lounge" (which is precisely what it was frequently) !!! hahaha!!!