Railroad Forums 

• MBB Overhaul

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1531922  by chrisf

RenegadeMonster wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:05 am Oh wow. Look how shiny it is. Especially the roof.

Some the the 500 cars roofs are nothing but rust.
That’s looks like a bilevel on an adjacent track you’re seeing. I doubt the roof is wrapped entirely; on the cars leased to Connecticut, the wrap extends up the curve a little bit but doesn’t go the whole way.
 #1532651  by RenegadeMonster

Saw car 520 come through Salem this morning on an outbound train.

To answer the seating question, they are using k-car style seats. 2x2 in blue instead if purple. Perhaps MassDOT blue which was interesting.
 #1532690  by CRail

The seats are not changed, they are the seats the car was built with.
 #1532696  by Steve Wagner

I think I've ridden in only one MBB-built coach or cab car in which 3-2 seating had been installed, and that was years ago. The 2-2 seating and the large windows are the MBB cars' strong points from a rider's perspective.
 #1532714  by RenegadeMonster

IF they are the original seats they must be rebuilt. They looked like they much thicker and in new condition when I was peering into the car through the windows.
 #1532718  by BandA

The blue vinyl was very thick; When it isn't slashed by vandals, or damaged, it remained in good condition long after the foam padding disintegrated. A smart vendor with upholstering experience can probably slice them at the seams then re-stuff them with appropriate "fire-resistant" material much cheaper than buying new 3+2 seats.
 #1532799  by Commuterrail1050

The only sad thing is that they are deactivating the 1500's cabs. I enjoyed seeing those lead since I started railfanning the end of 2010. It's sad to see them be btc's only but I understand that they are using them for extra seats until the rotems come and replace them in 2022-4.
 #1535101  by Backshophoss

MassDOT/MBTA are trying to recall the ConnDOT Leased MBB fleet,for service on the T west,Valley Flyer service,or
for service back at Boston?
 #1535113  by BandA

Are you asking or telling us that they are trying to recall the MBB? CT can't send them back until they have more equipment, basically the T & CT are both short of coaches.

EDIT: Oh the lease is already up & the T doesn't want to extend it!!
 #1535143  by nomis

It’s not recalling per-say, but the terms of the lease are coming to an end of the initial period. The MBB lease is a 3 year lease, signed on Dec. 8, 2017, with options for an additional 3 years - up to 6 years total.
 #1535161  by GP40MC1118

Coach 527 came out of Rochester two days ago on an extra to Readville. It's destined to
Seaview and then "Connecticut Rail service". Don't know if this means CDOT though.

D
 #1535209  by chrisf

527 is listed on NETransit as one of the cars leased to CT. Maybe it needed some repairs.
Last edited by CRail on Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed.
 #1535334  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

527 is indeed wrapped as a CDOT coach, delivered to Readville on 2/26, onto Seaview. New bathroom, wheels, wrap, etc...

Said extra brought down the CC 1810 for Area 52...appeared to have 480V HEP cable damage
 #1535745  by Commuterrail1050

FYI the south coast rail car 520 is southside and is the quiet car of the 1527 set. Posted a pic on Instagram for anyone wondering proof.