Railroad Forums 

• MBB Overhaul

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1529882  by njtmnrrbuff

Ctrail passengers don't know yet what will be replacing the MBB and Mafersa Cars yet and from the date that we find out the information, it will probably be at least three.
 #1529883  by CRail

We're straying... I suspect the cars out there may never come back east. I suspect they'll be transferred to north of Springfield service once ConnDOT is done with them. Any equipment procurement for the Knowledge Corrider isn't even on the Commonwealth's radar screen as far as anyone knows!
 #1529957  by BandA

I don't believe the MBB have ever received "mid-life" overhaul that you would expect an almost 30yo car to already have. Amfleets have probably been overhauled a couple of times. The MBBs were great when they were new.
 #1530072  by CRail

Right on the money! When the MBTA started their double decker kick all of the single level cars were brand new (except the Pullmans, the only single level cars to be rebuilt). Remember that the original Kawasakis are barely newer than the 600 Bomb cars (the first Bomb car was delivered in '89 with the last of the first 50 K cars coming in 91, some 600s and 700s were delivered the same year!). The Kawasakis have already been rebuilt while everything older (Pullmans excepted) are still running on three decades of mediocre (at best) maintenance. The current 300s are about the same age as the MBBs, and also haven't been touched since. I would agree that the Bomb cars are better built and better standing the test of time, but not much!
 #1531696  by RenegadeMonster

Wow, that was fast.

At that rate they really must need additional coaches now and probably can have them all back in service this year.

That being said, it doubt the overhauled coaches look much different. They probably just made all necessary repairs and upgrades such as emergency lighting required to pass inspections.
 #1531721  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

sonicdoommario wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:33 pm 520 is the first rebuilt MBB to re-enter service.
new bathroom, new trucks, wheels, and has a wrapped job regarding the Southcoast Rail....

Area 52 did this rebuild of the 520, a business in New Jersey is rebuilding the other 10 5** 15** coaches that recently got sent out
 #1531780  by BandA

Are they fixing the upholstery where the foam (probably urethane) had disintegrated?