Railroad Forums 

• MARC to build new storage tracks at Union Station

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1029881  by davinp

Maryland’s commuter rail passengers will soon be able to catch trains more easily at Union Station after the state builds a $21.3 million train storage facility approved recently, state officials said.

The three new tracks, which are scheduled to open by 2014, will hold Maryland Area Regional Commuter (MARC) trains stored at the station during mid-day layovers, according to the Maryland Transit Administration.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/tra ... story.html

A problem that VRE has parking at Ivy City, is that there is not enough parking spots for VRE to expand its train sets, which is why they only have 2 8 car train sets parked there. They are looking for more parking, which is at a premium. VRE has built two tracks just north of its L'Enfant Plaza station, but currently isn't storing trains there. They need to install another switch/signal.
 #1029894  by jcepler1

This is what is referred to as the 'Wedge Yard' in Ivy City, in the area between the lead for the Camden Line and the HSR car wash building.
MARC storage is at a premium at Union Station. It used to say somewhere on MARC's website that they were exceeding the contract with Amtrak for storage space at Union Station, this will help significantly. I also remember something about how they used to run an empty train or two from Washington in the morning so that they could be stored in Baltimore.

It was originally supposed to be six tracks, but there have been issues over the past few years which is why it has taken this long to get things moving. Will probably expand to six tracks in the future.

Maybe they'll stop unloading trains at the far north ends of platforms! 878 has been unloaded at the far north end of track 15 a few times this week, which is a pretty long walk.
A few consecutive Fridays before the time change, they would triple-stack trains on Track 9. Train 873 (3:35pm) was at the far north end, with maybe one car on the high level platform but the rest of the cars ahead of it at the low level section, then Train 891 (3:50pm) behind that, and a third train at the south end of the platform close to the station.

I didn't realize that VRE was building two storage tracks at L'Enfant, I thought it was only one- but looking at google there is clearly room for two.

Building more storage tracks at the extremely congested Washington Union Station is a win-win for everyone.
 #1030197  by ThirdRail7

jcepler1 wrote:This is what is referred to as the 'Wedge Yard' in Ivy City, in the area between the lead for the Camden Line and the HSR car wash building.

It's about time! This yard has been proposed since 1998! Let's get the shovels in the ground already!!!
 #1268471  by Arlington

ThirdRail7 wrote:The tracks are laid in Wedge Yard and it is tied into C interlocking. It also has two inspection pits. This will help station congestion. It's about time.
Is it open? Article from 2012 says "Open by 2014". Funny thing is I rode right by it a few weeks ago (inbound on MARC weekend service from BWI to WAS) but didn't know what I was exactly seeing (or when to look)
 #1269134  by ThirdRail7

Arlington wrote:
ThirdRail7 wrote:The tracks are laid in Wedge Yard and it is tied into C interlocking. It also has two inspection pits. This will help station congestion. It's about time.
Is it open? Article from 2012 says "Open by 2014". Funny thing is I rode right by it a few weeks ago (inbound on MARC weekend service from BWI to WAS) but didn't know what I was exactly seeing (or when to look)
Not yet. They are still hooking it up electrically but the worst is over.

I hope! :)

If you're heading towards WAS from BAL,Wedge yard sits to your right across from the high speed wash building, adjacent to VRE coach yard.
 #1269633  by realtype

ThirdRail7 wrote:
Arlington wrote:

If you're heading towards WAS from BAL,Wedge yard sits to your right across from the high speed wash building, adjacent to VRE coach yard.
So they did put in catenary? (I'm really hoping MARC reconsiders this "diesel-only" policy)
 #1269725  by ThirdRail7

realtype wrote:
ThirdRail7 wrote:
Arlington wrote:

So they did put in catenary? (I'm really hoping MARC reconsiders this "diesel-only" policy)
No. I mean hooked up electrically so they have lights, power and the ability to use tools. :P
 #1270695  by realtype

ThirdRail7 wrote:
realtype wrote:
ThirdRail7 wrote:
Arlington wrote:

No. I mean hooked up electrically so they have lights, power and the ability to use tools. :P
Haha, oh well.
strench707 wrote:Apparently the design was botched a bit by the contractor and due to some ill placed clearance points, certain tracks have lost a car length of capacity.

Always something with the RR!

Davis
That's just great. Hopefully they can still handle at least 8 cars
 #1280556  by Arlington

Toaster718 wrote:There are 6 tracks, supposed to open by the end of June don't hold ur breath. It is true that there are some clearance issues as well as some electrical pertaining to the crew room.
Well, did they make their "end of June" deadline (its now early July 2014).

And how does "life" get better with the new yard? How quickly will the extra space be reflected in extra ops?
 #1284213  by Lewis15

Well, it's not really at Union Station, it's at Ivy City, and the north end at that. As you leave Union Station on the Camden Line, it is past Ivy City on the left (look for all the VRE trains). The wedge yard is located in the "wedge" formed by the Camden Line and the wye that joins the Camden and Brunswick Lines.

The wedge yard will provide daytime storage for MARC trains that are currently stacked on the upper level tracks. All but the earliest inbound and latest outbound trains are generally stacked on top of other trains, necessitating a long walk from train to station in the morning and from station to train in the afternoon. I have had to walk out to or in from as far as K tower at times. That's the brick building that sits in the middle of the yard way outside any of the canopies

Yes, the use of the wedge yard will require more terminal movements to stage trains, but it will make for shorter walks for passengers. It will also help alleviate one of (but not the only) limits to service expansion: the lack of daytime storage in DC.

My understanding is that the yard is complete except for getting electrical service to power the switches, signals, and maintenance functions. From previous experience, I can assure everyone that dealing with certain electric utilities in establishing new service can sometimes be problematic.