Railroad Forums 

• CAF 5011

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#992918  by asdf

Anybody know why 5011 still has the old announcement recordings?
 #994242  by SchuminWeb

Heh, I found a recent recording of that car's door chime:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMkBhQM_Qpw

Amazing that almost six years after the old chime was retired, there are *still* cars out there that have the old chime. I will almost guarantee you that it's the case that this car was simply never changed. I don't know what the process of changing chimes entails, but obviously they missed that pair.

As I understand it, they got all of the Rohrs and the non-rehabbed Bredas entirely, because once the new announcement started being deployed, I never heard the original version of the Sandy Carroll announcement again. The 5000-Series apparently took a while to do, since obviously, they *still* haven't gotten all of the old recordings.

The 2000 and 3000-Series Bredas were all delivered from Alstom with the second version of the Sandy Carroll door announcement and chime following their rehabilitation, even after the door announcement change. Thus even after the new announcement was official, they still came back with the old announcement and then had to be changed by WMATA. Same with the 6000-Series, as I understand it. Those were also delivered with the old chime and changed after they got back to Metro.
 #994438  by asdf

To update recordings for a pair, do they have to reprogram both cars individually or are the centrally controlled? I can't be 100% sure but I think 5010 has the new one.
 #996799  by Sand Box John

"SchuminWeb"
Knowing Metro as I do, it's probably the pair, but I don't know for certain. John?

I'm hazarding guess Ben is likely correct, and like him I don't know for sure. That's why I didn't jump in earlier.

It would make sense because virtual all of the systems on the cars are shared between the pairs, the only the exceptions being thing like the propulsion units and HVAC equipment.

Has anyone confirmed if the mate to 5011 is also using the same chime and announcement recordings?
 #996933  by asdf

I'll keep an eye on this

Apparently 5080 has an old recording too according to MetroForward post, but it's not as old as 5011 recording.
 #997053  by SchuminWeb

From what I can tell from my records, there are six cars with the original version of the Randi Miller recording. They are:

This would seem to lend credence to the idea that it is done across the pair.
 #1284535  by YOLO

Found a 3k car with the old audio recording today. Car is 3249.

I believe 5011 has been updated with the new recording.

I like how it says "please allow the doors to close" (or something to that effect), and after the doors close, it says "Thank you" :-D