Railroad Forums 

• MARC GP40 & GP39 status

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1377536  by F-line to Dudley via Park

STrRedWolf wrote:Yep, that's the ol' MARC 66 GP40WH-2. They got sent up to MBTA to try and get their commuter rail service into a more reliable state. I think they're currently in a state of limbo due to the switch-over of operators.
The only 'limbo' was that ex-operator MBCR and not the MBTA were the lessor of those units, and when MBCR lost its contract re-bid and scrammed out of town they forgot to pay the waybill for returning that trio back to MPI. The T moved them to a storage line for retired equipment they were renting at Seaview RR's yard in Davisville, RI to get them off its property. And then somebody finally paid the waybill and they were returned to MPI. Don't know if MBCR finally did it or MPI just decided to take them back itself.

These Geeps are probably going to be held for MPI to peddle more gut-and-repower 'hermit crab' units like those SunRail MP32PH-Q's made out of a bunch of the other ex-MARC Geeps. That seemed to be a successful order, so they'll probably explore more of the same. Including maybe some freight units, since they've got a small but growing freight loco lineup.
 #1410096  by NorthWest

I'm planning on traveling to MARC territory in late March 2017 and I'd like to catch 68 if I can. I know that it normally lives in Odenton unless it's needed, but is there a good way to see it there or anywhere else? I won't have a car.
Thanks.
 #1410117  by STrRedWolf

That depends on what you're doing down here. If you're passing by southbound, you'll want the left hand travel-bound side of the train. Once you're past BWI, keep looking left out the window. Odenton will pass before the Amtrak MoW rail yard where 68 is usually stationed.

But if you're going to hang on out and trainspot at Odenton MARC station, I would do the following:
  • Subscribe to the MARC Train alerts at http://mta.maryland.gov" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. That'll give you some hints at action.
  • Rent a car at BWI, and drive down MD 170 to Odenton. If you need breakfast, I would take 175 into Ft. Meade or town center, but DO NOT GET COFFEE (I will explain in a bit).
  • When at Odenton MARC station, you'll have the station itself and a small historic building with "White Rabbit Coffee & Tea" on the side. GET COFFEE IN THERE. The historic building is also home to the station's historic exhibits by the Odenton Historical Society, and you'll want to chat with some of the coffee mavens there as well. The coffee IS good. (oh, and if you see some geek with a +25 Hat of Button Holding, ask him how Akairo is doing)
  • It's also a good idea to go into the station itself, and talk to the station master (in the morning this is usually Greg). That way he knows, he can let MARC and MTA Maryland police know, then TSA knows, and you're covered. Hell, buy a one-way to DC. You won't find that stock anywhere else on the Penn or Camden line.
 #1410119  by amtrakhogger

About once a week or so the 68 goes to DC for fueling. Usually this happens in daylight hours.
 #1410137  by NorthWest

Thank you both. I will not have a car but will probably ride MARC out to Odenton if that is a good spot to watch. Catching the electrics is another goal of this trip.

What day does the 68 usually go into DC? I know it's probably as needed but if it is one day more than others that would be helpful.

Thanks so much.
 #1410138  by STrRedWolf

If you go down to see 68 go by into DC, you'll probably want to head down to Bowie with a lunch. It's unstaffed and no food stuff nearby (unlike Odenton, which has the morning coffee shop, an afternoon coffee and sandwich shop, a steak house, etc). There is transit at Odenton (RTA buses) that'll take you to a few other places).
Last edited by Jeff Smith on Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Deleted quote of immediately preceding post.
 #1410181  by NorthWest

Yes, I realized that the Odenton maintenance center is south of the station after posting. Thanks! My itinerary is still in its preliminary stages.
 #1513665  by STrRedWolf

WorldwideRailfan (Youtube) wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:45 pm 54, 56, 57, 58 were sold to MPI and they're currently stored in Columbia, PA.
Do you know if they have the mixed MARC/MBTA livery? I know they were rented out to MBTA for a while.