Railroad Forums 

• Accident at Woodley Park-Zoo/Adams Morgan Station

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#86868  by Silverliner II

Based on articles and other postings I have seen, that first train (that got out of control) was being operated in manual mode.

Just as a curiosity: Here in the Philly/South Jersey area, we have the PATCO line connecting Philadelphia and Lindenwold, NJ. The trains on this line operate via ATO and ATC in a manner similar to the Metro. The operators only open and close the doors, and then hit a "start" button to start the train in automatic mode. In cases of emergency or a wayside or on board ATO failure, an operator can override the auto controls and run the train manually, even while moving.

Over the course of the day, each train operator on PATCO is required to make one round trip in manual mode, just as a means of keeping in practice. You usually can tell when you are riding a train in manual mode if you are in the head car (operators taking more distance to stop, extra reaction time to acknowledge a cab signal change, etc.

I wonder if WMATA has a similar policy for their operators.

#86926  by Tommy Meehan

Silverliner I think WMATA has a policy requiring operators to run manual one day a week. It was one of the recommendations the Natl Transp Safety Board made following the Shady Grove collision and derailment of a few years back.

That's interesting about PATCO cars having a start button. I didn't know that.

Tommy

#87187  by N.Y. State Of Mind

The Miami Metrorail has something like that too.