Railroad Forums 

• Stadium specials on the washington metro??

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#60047  by ctaman34

Did you forget that the Monteral Expos are coming to DC and after games, they might have to run stadium specials? And btw what's the nearest stop to RFK stadium?

#60125  by Robert Paniagua

Did you forget that the Monteral Expos are coming to DC and after games, they might have to run stadium specials? And btw what's the nearest stop to RFK stadium?

Oh I remembered about the Expos coming to DC, but I'm not even sure if they are using RFK Stadium. Maybe they will, if they renovate that stadium so that they can use it.

And as for the other question, this one's easy for me to tell you. It's Stadium-Armory, on the Joint Blue/Orange lines, just before they split.

#60305  by walt

The plan is for the Expos/Senators/Grays/Nationals to play at RFK for three years while the Anacostia stadium is being built. The cost of renovating RFK is projected at about $13 million. Stadium/Armory is the closest metrorail station to RFK and was used extensively during the days when the Redskins played at RFK.

#60708  by ctaman34

will they run stadium specials after the expos games next season

#60817  by Robert Paniagua

The plan is for the Expos/Senators/Grays/Nationals to play at RFK for three years while the Anacostia stadium is being built. The cost of renovating RFK is projected at about $13 million. Stadium/Armory is the closest metrorail station to RFK and was used extensively during the days when the Redskins played at RFK.

Yeah I remember when Stadium/Armory was extensively used during the Redskins days there.

As for running specials, they will have to run extra trains to cover the crowds for such games.
 #66964  by electricrollingmetro

"...they will have to run stadium specials to cover the crowds at those games."

Not if the Expos continue playing as they have been doing.

Flex-rush hour for fans leaving the stadium can be instituted starting in the 7th inning!

As for stadium specials, they will be impossible to run on the Green Line unless they build a connection to the Yellow Line bridge or something bypassing L'Enfant Plaza. Besides which L'enfant Plaza has no cross-platform transfers from the Green to the Yellow line.

There are no pocket tracks on the Green Line south of Mount Vernon Sq.

This fact coupled with the mayor's "economic development" plan (tear down the Nation nightclub and build a huge parking lot between the station and the stadium to "anticipate future development"),

coupled with suburbanites reluctance to travel anywhere south of L'Enfant Plaza,

suggest that the new stadium would be an absolute bust for transit, and possibly for the owners as well!

I say keep the team in RFK and renovate it completely, as Jack Kent Cooke proposed to do with his own money.
 #71503  by ctaman34

the expos are known as: *drum roll* the dc nationals

#73027  by KANDYMAN

I live on the left coast and am curious. How well will the new blue line extension serve FedEx Field and Redskins Games? Is any additional service planned on game days?