Railroad Forums 

• New Diesels for MARC & VRE

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1017104  by ThirdRail7

electricron wrote:Now that all of the MP-36s have entered service for both MARC and VRE, can anyone state what maximum speeds they have been certified at?
I assume 79 mph for VRE on both CSX and NS corridors. I assume 79 mph for MARC on CSX corridor, but what specifically is their max speed for Amtrak's NEC?
90mph
 #1017185  by cobra30689

electricron wrote:Now that all of the MP-36s have entered service for both MARC and VRE, can anyone state what maximum speeds they have been certified at?
I assume 79 mph for VRE on both CSX and NS corridors. I assume 79 mph for MARC on CSX corridor, but what specifically is their max speed for Amtrak's NEC?
The overspeed on mine is set for 89, but of course on NS its 79(no cab signals), CSX's limit on the RF&P is 70 anyway even with the cab signals, so it's a moot point *shrug*
 #1022575  by Tadman

Here's two at Beech Grove as of last week. I took this pic personally, so I can vouch that it's recent.
 #1022903  by ns3010

Tadman wrote:Image

Here's two at Beech Grove as of last week. I took this pic personally, so I can vouch that it's recent.
It almost looks to me like it could be three units, but I guess you would know since you took the picture!

Do you have numbers for these units? Actually, do you know the numbers of the P42's on the flatcars, either(just curious)? The numbers are illegible in the small photo.
 #1033628  by davinp

A video shot of VRE's Broad Run Rail Yard, outside the fence, on April 1st shows locomotive V20 stored in the rear nose to nose with V52. So, they are not currently using the V52 locomotive. As you know, VRE bought 20 new locomotives, but only have 12 train sets, which means 8 extra locomotives. ( VRE keeps extra equipment ready if needed for backup in case a trainset has to be taken out of service.)

Also, other old cars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCqloFxhPns
 #1236411  by Jersey_Mike

Somebody just updated Wikipedia to indicate that MARC was buying 10 additional MP36's. Any truth to this?
 #1236418  by ThirdRail7

Jersey_Mike wrote:Somebody just updated Wikipedia to indicate that MARC was buying 10 additional MP36's. Any truth to this?
It was mentioned in September, when the Governor of Maryland announced transportation plan.

A brief "fair use" quote should cover your inquiry:

BALTIMORE, MD – Governor Martin O’Malley today announced nearly $1.5 billion in transportation investments for the Baltimore Metropolitan Region that will support more than 13,000 jobs, reduce traffic congestion, and revitalize communities. Governor O’Malley was joined by Lt. Governor Anthony G. Brown, U.S. Congressman Elijah E. Cummings, U.S. Congressman John Sarbanes, Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake, Howard County Executive Ken Ulman, and other key officials. Standing at West Baltimore MARC station, a future station on the Red Line, the Governor highlighted $689 million in investments for the Red Line project, including $519 million for construction.

Today’s announcement provides nearly $1.5 billion in key projects for the Baltimore Metropolitan Region, including:

$46 million to operate the first-ever MARC Train weekend service. Service on the Penn Line will start on Saturday, December 7, 2013, and will provide nine round trips on Saturdays and six round trips on Sundays;

$52 million for MARC Commuter Rail improvements to purchase 10 new diesel locomotives and to add two daily round trips to weekday service on the MARC Camden Line;

$689 million in State funds for right-of-way acquisition, final design and to initiate construction of the Red Line ($170 million for right way and final design and $519 million for construction);

$246 million to replace Baltimore Metro Subway’s 100 railcar fleet and 15 miles of signaling systems;

$75 million in construction funds to build a new Kirk Bus Division transportation and storage building in Baltimore City;

$12 million in operating assistance (FY 2014-2019) for the Charm City Circulator in Baltimore City;

<snip>

http://www.governor.maryland.gov/blog/?p=9132" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I suppose it is a coincidence they are ordering 10 new diesels and MARC has 10 electrics left. :wink:
 #1236605  by dt_rt40

I suppose it is a coincidence they are ordering 10 new diesels and MARC has 10 electrics left. :wink:

Yes - maybe in 20 years we can go back to using steam trains, and in 10 more, pack animals.
 #1237195  by Fan Railer

dt_rt40 wrote:I suppose it is a coincidence they are ordering 10 new diesels and MARC has 10 electrics left. :wink:

Yes - maybe in 20 years we can go back to using steam trains, and in 10 more, pack animals.
There are a bunch of us who would not necessarily object to going back to steam haha XD