All Things WMATA 7000 Series

Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, Robert Paniagua, therock

Post Reply
wrivlin
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:07 pm

Re: All Things WMATA 7000 Series

Post by wrivlin » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:15 am

The only way you will get shorter waiting times is for WMATA to dump the 7k cars in 8 car only consist policy.
To be honest, I'd be fine with 4-car consists during off-peak if it meant more frequent service.

daybeers
Posts: 260
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:13 pm
Location: HFD

Re: All Things WMATA 7000 Series

Post by daybeers » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:15 pm

wrivlin wrote:
The only way you will get shorter waiting times is for WMATA to dump the 7k cars in 8 car only consist policy.
To be honest, I'd be fine with 4-car consists during off-peak if it meant more frequent service.
Agreed, but only if they started stopping trains in the middle of the platforms, but that won't happen until they turn ATO back on.

User avatar
JDC
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:20 am
Location: Springfield, VA

Re: All Things WMATA 7000 Series

Post by JDC » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:31 am

Sand Box John wrote:"daybeers"
That's awesome! Hope it stays that way.


Which do you prefer, higher percentage of 8 car trains or shorter waiting times between trains. Under WMATA's present operating schema you can only have the one, not both.
Having ridden Yellow line at 6 minute interval and then 8, with zero 8-car trains and then 8-car trains, I'd keep our current interval with 8-car trains. (I'd also take 4 minute intervals with 6-car trains, but that is not happening). Those extra 2 cars make big difference, IMO, compared to the lost 2 minutes.
Living in Springfield, VA; Working at Half & L, DC.

YOLO
Posts: 270
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:50 pm

Re: All Things WMATA 7000 Series

Post by YOLO » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:19 pm

Spotted 7514-7515 on GR/YL

Chris Brown
Posts: 294
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:16 am

Re: Metro receives car 7499

Post by Chris Brown » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:34 am

We are well past car #7500.

The countdown to #7600 has officially started.

daybeers
Posts: 260
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:13 pm
Location: HFD

Re: All Things WMATA 7000 Series

Post by daybeers » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:39 pm

https://wtop.com/tracking-metro-24-7/20 ... -crowding/ Looks like you got your wish! This was from last Thursday. I was on the Green Line during the late afternoon/evening rush today, and I saw that the majority of the trains were eight-car 7000-Series trains.
This week we began our efforts to run more, and whenever possible all, eight-car trains on the Yellow and Green Line. That’s obviously a reflection of the increased usage there and to accommodate our customers,” General Manager Paul Wiedefeld said Thursday.

Chris Brown
Posts: 294
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:16 am

Re: All Things WMATA 7000 Series

Post by Chris Brown » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:41 pm

Running longer trains less frequently is actually a pretty smart move.

Less train operators to pay.

Less mileage on rail cars.

Less wear and tear on the tracks.

justalurker66
Posts: 2331
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 11:20 pm

Re: All Things WMATA 7000 Series

Post by justalurker66 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:02 pm

Chris Brown wrote:Running longer trains less frequently is actually a pretty smart move.
OK, are you comparing two four car trains vs one eight car train? Or two six car trains vs one eight car train? Without increasing capacity (requiring more cars to deliver service) comparing two four car trains to one eight car train seems to be the right comparison.
Chris Brown wrote:Less train operators to pay.

Less mileage on rail cars.

Less wear and tear on the tracks.
The additional operators I will agree with. Doubling the number of trains by splitting them from eight to four cars would require more operators. But how does splitting the train change mileage or wear and tear? The cars would travel the same distance when in an 8 car train as they would in a 4 car train. And the track would have the same number of axles running over it.

Chris Brown
Posts: 294
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:16 am

Re: All Things WMATA 7000 Series

Post by Chris Brown » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:15 pm

justalurker66 wrote: The additional operators I will agree with. Doubling the number of trains by splitting them from eight to four cars would require more operators. But how does splitting the train change mileage or wear and tear? The cars would travel the same distance when in an 8 car train as they would in a 4 car train. And the track would have the same number of axles running over it.
Who said anything about doubling or using 4-car trains?

I'm talking about running less trains and making them longer (8-cars) over running more trains and making them shorter (6-cars)

Less mileage on cars because you are running less trains. Two 6-cars trains makes up 12 cars compared to one 8-car train.

Less wear and tear on tracks because the trains are running on them less frequently. Again, less trains, but longer ones.

justalurker66
Posts: 2331
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 11:20 pm

Re: All Things WMATA 7000 Series

Post by justalurker66 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:15 pm

So what is the math? Are you building four six car trains instead of three eight car trains? Or are you changing the capacity of the line by running four six car trains instead of two eight car trains?

Chris Brown
Posts: 294
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:16 am

Re: All Things WMATA 7000 Series

Post by Chris Brown » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:18 am

justalurker66 wrote:So what is the math? Are you building four six car trains instead of three eight car trains? Or are you changing the capacity of the line by running four six car trains instead of two eight car trains?
Why do you need exact math?

There are less trains. That means less everything else (operators to pay, wear on tracks, rail car use, etc.)

Why the need for such extreme mathematical precision? For what purpose?

justalurker66
Posts: 2331
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 11:20 pm

Re: All Things WMATA 7000 Series

Post by justalurker66 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:56 am

I am just trying to understand what you are saying. It would be helpful if you picked a premise.

Less trains does not mean less of everything else unless the math works out that way. Three eight car trains instead of four six car trains saves you one operator. Two eight car trains instead of four six car trains saves two operators plus 8 cars - but comes at the cost of reduced capacity. Six car instead of eight car trains cause their own operational problems (especially with the new cars).

andrewjw
Posts: 398
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:48 am
Contact:

Re: All Things WMATA 7000 Series

Post by andrewjw » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:13 pm

Chris Brown wrote:
justalurker66 wrote:So what is the math? Are you building four six car trains instead of three eight car trains? Or are you changing the capacity of the line by running four six car trains instead of two eight car trains?
Why do you need exact math?

There are less trains. That means less everything else (operators to pay, wear on tracks, rail car use, etc.)

Why the need for such extreme mathematical precision? For what purpose?
If you run trains twice as long half as frequently, you still use the same number of trainsets and each trainset has the same average distance travelled, and thet racks have the same number of wheels roll over them.

YOLO
Posts: 270
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:50 pm

Re: All Things WMATA 7000 Series

Post by YOLO » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:53 pm

Looks like the 6Ks got moved to OR/SV. I guess they resolved the vibration issue on GR and the 5Ks are mostly gone?

mtuandrew
Posts: 5787
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:59 am
Location: the Manassas Gap Independent Line

Re: All Things WMATA 7000 Series

Post by mtuandrew » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:08 pm

YOLO wrote:Looks like the 6Ks got moved to OR/SV. I guess they resolved the vibration issue on GR and the 5Ks are mostly gone?
Been seeing 6ks pretty regularly at Van Dorn Yard and on the BL generally. Don’t know about YL.

Post Reply

Return to “DC - Maryland - Virginia Area Passenger Rail: MTA(MARC), VRE, WMATA(Metro)”