Railroad Forums 

• All Things WMATA 7000 Series

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1440615  by JDC

I was on a train today where the LCD screen was a static image of a larger WMATA map and a 'tips for riding Metro' list. That was a new one.
 #1440954  by srepetsk

Can someone, maybe dcmike, definitively answer the question if the 7000's draw more power than the legacy series cars? I thought I had read somewhere back on the forum that their power draw is roughly the same, but I can't find that at the moment. I suppose the most interesting datapoint is any difference in power consumption during acceleration. Thanks in advance.
 #1441110  by YOLO

question about the 7000 series train computer system, i've been told that the passenger information displays run on windows boxes - does the entire train computer system run on windows too?
 #1441138  by JackRussell

I have seen people post pictures of WER (Windows Error Report) dialog popups, so yes the information displays do run Windows.

The thing I don't get is that the people who designed these things ought to have added better error handling capabilities, and a watchdog process that can kill/restart the actual display process in the event of a crash, hang or other failure.

As for the rest of the railcar, I have no idea. I would tend to doubt it.
 #1442585  by Chris Brown

I believe so. I don't see them on the red line anymore either.

By the way.. has ANYONE seen car #7400 yet??

Today I took a ride on car 7381. With 20 cars arriving a month, I'm assuming WMATA has received car #7400 by now or will in the very near future.
 #1442652  by JDC

I saw a train last week with car 7399...so it must be out there now, or very soon.
 #1443726  by Robert Paniagua

Chris Brown wrote:There was a time back in the 90's when you never saw a 1K series train on the Red line ever. Red line was strictly 2k, 3k and 4k.
I remember in the 80s (late '86-early'87, it was the other way around, Red Line was 65% 1K, 34% 3K, 1% 2K when I rode it and lived in the area. The 2Ks were confined mostly to the BL/OR at the time (there was so GR, SV and YL was just a stub truncated route from Gallery Pl to Huntington and that line then saw mostly 2Ks and very few 3Ks
 #1444560  by MCL1981

I love how the ATU Is responding to this as if WMATA did this intentionally to hurt their personnel, and that WMATA endangers their personnel all day. The ATU is responsible for nearly all of the safety, mx, and mechanical problems in metro. They don't even step up when their own people try to kill each other on purpose. What a joke.