Railroad Forums 

• VRE & MARC train Service.....

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#29538  by Myke Romeo Angel

When is the projected time to extend service down to Richmond VA...

I also think VRE needs their own lay over yard, that they can share with MARC trains. I also think VRE should take over the MARC line that runs to i think Martinsburg VA.

MARC on the other hand should extend their trains to connect with SEPTA in Wilmington.. I think a lay over yard should be constructed some where in Deleware that can be shared by MARC & SEPTA along the northeast corridor..

These are just my suggestions...

I also thing the light rail in Baltimore should've been reconsidered with it running underground through Howard Street instead of it running on Street Level...

While I'm @ it, it would've made sense for them to extend the MTA metro into Owings Mills Mall, but that just my opinion... :(

i also think they need 2 open up another MARC line that runs up around Timonium (sp), Towson, White Marsh, Resitertown, Randallstown, & Penn Station etc... I'm not sure how i would route it exactly, but i think it's CSX that has freight trackage that runs through Reistertown which is where my proposed commuter rail would run....

i know these ideas sound far fetched, but one can dream... :D

#34050  by walt

With regard to the Baltimore area, take a look at the proposed Baltimore Regional Rail Plan ( I believe you can find it by simply doing a search on any search engine) while this plan mostly involves expansion of the Central Light Rail Line into a fairly comprehensive system of light rail lines, it also includes other modes of rail transportation, including MARC type commuter services.
Diverting the Central Light Rail Line into the Howard Street Tunnel would probably run afoul of FRA regulations which prohibit mixing Light Rail Equipment with "Conventional railroad equipment" ( especially heavy freight trains) on the same tracks during the same hours.