Railroad Forums 

• MARC Operations

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#245010  by jz441

Can someone tell me who has the contract to operate MARC trans? Is it still Amtrak?
Thank you!

#245135  by octr202

Amtrak on the Penn Line (NEC), CSXT on the Camden and Brunswick Lines (ex-B&O lines).

#245195  by jz441

Thank you octr202!

I had no idea that CSXT had its fingers in commuter operations. Is this something from the old days of B&O, like BN (BNSF) who had Metra contract for ever?
Are Brunswick and Camden lines electrified?

Also, who has the contract to operate the VRE trains?

Thank you!

#246283  by rafi

jz441 wrote:Thank you octr202!

I had no idea that CSXT had its fingers in commuter operations. Is this something from the old days of B&O, like BN (BNSF) who had Metra contract for ever?
Are Brunswick and Camden lines electrified?

Also, who has the contract to operate the VRE trains?

Thank you!
CSX operates the Brunswick and Camden lines as a result of inheritance from the B&O. From the MTA MARC FAQ:
Why doesn't MARC do something about CSX running freight trains ahead of MARC trains?

MARC's relationship with CSX is a complex one. CSX's primary business is freight traffic, which pays for the basic operation of the railroad. CSX believes that the payments made by MARC do not cover all of the costs associated with the service. While MARC trains are delayed by freight trains, it is not as evident to our passengers that MARC can delay freight service. CSX's participation in commuter service is inherited from its predecessor, the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. The service continues to run not on the basis of any legal obligation, but on recognition of the potential political liabilities of terminating the service. There is no legal basis to compel operation of the service or to give priority for passenger trains over freight trains. CSX also keeps staffing at a low level in order to maximize profits. When there is a problem with signal systems or weather, CSX has less staff to respond to disruptions than is ideal on a passenger railroad. We often share customers' frustrations over dispatching decisions or the reliability of crucial signal systems but other than ongoing discussions with CSX there is little that we can do to change their policies.
CSX operates the VRE trains with a similar contract.

-Rafi[/url]

#246290  by octr202

I believe Amtrak operates the trains on both NS and CSXT for VRE. I don't believe there are any places where freight railroads have entered into new agreements to operate commuter service, but they have continued the handful of existing agreements (CSXT in Maryland, BNSF and UP in Illinois).

#246294  by rafi

octr202 wrote:I believe Amtrak operates the trains on both NS and CSXT for VRE. I don't believe there are any places where freight railroads have entered into new agreements to operate commuter service, but they have continued the handful of existing agreements (CSXT in Maryland, BNSF and UP in Illinois).
My mistake—I wasn't thinking straight.

-Rafi

#246309  by octr202

rafi wrote:
octr202 wrote:I believe Amtrak operates the trains on both NS and CSXT for VRE. I don't believe there are any places where freight railroads have entered into new agreements to operate commuter service, but they have continued the handful of existing agreements (CSXT in Maryland, BNSF and UP in Illinois).
My mistake—I wasn't thinking straight.

-Rafi
No worries. They (VRE) do actually have contracts with CSXT and NS, but those are only for trackage rights. Amtrak supplies the trains crews, and I am assuming maintenance as well.

#246721  by jz441

Thank you guys! There is one more question..... Are Brunswick and Camden lines electrified?

#246731  by Hudson Terminus

No, Camden and Brunswick are not electrified.