Railroad Forums 

• Two types of Gallery cars

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#228216  by davinp

The St Louis cars can be distinguished from the Pullman cars by the fact they have six windows to each side of the center doors, instead of the Pullman car’s four.

All of the St. Louis cars have since been retired from revenue service in the Chicago area (though some are still running on commuter trains in the Washington DC area after they were sold by Metra to Virginia Express commuter agency for a dollar a piece).

#228749  by Scotty Burkhardt

Both of those types of cars are out of service in the Chicago area (aside from the 2 sets owned by IRM or the WSOR.

There are more than two types of gallery car. In the near future there will be a third type operating in the Metro Washington D.C. area.

Lastly,
I am confused as to the direction you would like for this subject matter to continue in. Please share your intentions of this post as the "gallery car" is of great interest to myself and to other users of this forum.

Respectfully perplexed,
Scotty.

#228870  by M&Eman

How so these gallery cars operate in Washington Union without traps and how do these cars meet clearance requirements on the NEC?

#229034  by Scotty Burkhardt

There are low level platforms in Washington Union Station.

The wire is high enough for the gallery cars to clear. The Capitol Limited (all Superliner) runs under the wires for the final strech into Union Station.

I remember the first time I rode the Capitol Limited into Washington DC. Living in Chicago, I took Amtrak from Chicago Union Station. It was fun seeing a little(big) piece(s) of home right when I got off the train. It was very interesting for me because I had only seen those cars with F40's. Next to an AEM-7 or behind a Sounder F59 was very cool for a Chicago kid.