Railroad Forums 

• VRE & Metro reach deal for parking at Franconia-Springfield

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1519620  by davinp

As you now, Metro charges an extra fee for people parking and not riding Metro.

VRE and WMATA (Metro) have reached an agreement to allow VRE riders using multi-ride tickets (Monthly, 5-Day Pass, 10-Ride Tickets) to qualify for Metro Rider rates for parking at the Franconia/Springfield Metro station.

Qualifying VRE Riders will be issued a SmarTrip card with the VRE Rider Parking Pass. The SmarTrip card will be valid through the calendar year, but eligibility will be confirmed on a monthly basis. New cards will be issued to eligible VRE Riders at the beginning of each year.

Please visit VRE.org/MetroParkingPass for more information.
 #1519849  by mmi16

Personally - I view parking fees as a impediment to people using either service. Now if the Metro or VRE long term tickets were the medium to gain entry to the lot, that is another thing; ie. making the parking fee included in the transportation fee.

The aim of both VRE and Metro is to get people out of cars in the Washington Metropolitan Area after all.
 #1519853  by mtuandrew

mmi16 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:24 pm Personally - I view parking fees as a impediment to people using either service. Now if the Metro or VRE long term tickets were the medium to gain entry to the lot, that is another thing; ie. making the parking fee included in the transportation fee.

The aim of both VRE and Metro is to get people out of cars in the Washington Metropolitan Area after all.
But Metro is also in the bus business providing service for $2, and a discount for transferring between modes. That $4.95 parking fee (or $8.95? Having trouble parsing the fine print) at F-S is supposed to deter people from driving at all, and push them toward Metrobus or Fairfax Connector. The fee also subsidizes the buses and trains - win-win all around for WMATA.
 #1520210  by danib62

mmi16 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:24 pm Personally - I view parking fees as a impediment to people using either service. Now if the Metro or VRE long term tickets were the medium to gain entry to the lot, that is another thing; ie. making the parking fee included in the transportation fee.

Why penalize people who walk/bike/bus/get dropped off at the station? I want to encourage 100% car-free trips.