Railroad Forums 

• Metro plans more summer shutdowns for platform replacement

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1512205  by davinp

Over the next two years, Prince George’s County will see stations shut down, and Virginia will see more shutdowns as well.

Current plans call for Metro to shut down eight stations for platform repairs next summer, and six others in the summer of 2021.

Metro plans to shut down four stations along the north end of the Green Line in Prince George’s County next summer – Greenbelt, College Park, Prince George’s Plaza, and West Hyattsville.

Also next summer, Virginia will be impacted again – on the Orange Line Vienna, Dunn Loring, West Falls Church, and East Falls Church are expected to shut down.

In the summer of 2021, plans call for the shutdown of the New Carrollton, Landover, and Cheverly stations along the Orange Line in Prince George’s County, along with Addison Road on the Blue and Silver lines.

That summer Metro also expects to shut down Arlington Cemetery and Reagan National Airport.

https://wjla.com/news/metro-summer-shut ... r-shutdown
 #1512378  by STrRedWolf

I'm not sure how power is sectioned off. There's a few options, including making the Blue a "U" between Franconia-Springfield and Hunting and shuttle between Eisenhower and Pentagon. They may be able to do Braddock to Pentagon. I can't see shutting down National Airport w/o shutting down Crystal City.
 #1512393  by JDC

I imagine that National Airport station will be closed to passengers, but that trains will continue to pass through (at reduced speed) and maybe through single tracking. But I don't see them shutting down the B/Y line south of the airport.
 #1512423  by mtuandrew

STrRedWolf wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:39 am I'm not sure how power is sectioned off. There's a few options, including making the Blue a "U" between Franconia-Springfield and Hunting and shuttle between Eisenhower and Pentagon. They may be able to do Braddock to Pentagon. I can't see shutting down National Airport w/o shutting down Crystal City.
I’m not sure that Crystal City needs the kind of maintenance that the south end stations needed, being underground and not exposed to the weather.
JDC wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:41 am I imagine that National Airport station will be closed to passengers, but that trains will continue to pass through (at reduced speed) and maybe through single tracking. But I don't see them shutting down the B/Y line south of the airport.
That plan makes sense to me. Do the outside platform edges first and single-track through the middle, then do the inside edges and route trains around the outside tracks. No way would Alexandria and Fairfax County stand for another full shutdown south of Airport. They would probably have to shut down a couple weekends to remove the canopy though.
 #1512430  by srepetsk

mtuandrew wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:09 pm If Metro is shutting down Reagan National in 2021, does that mean they are also shutting down the entire Blue and Yellow again? Or are they doing a single-track bypass?
There is no need to shut National when they redo platforms. If they limit it to 1 platform at a time trains can continue to run through while the work is performed. When the pocket track is under construction, trains run normally. When the southbound (track 2) is being worked on, trains route through the pocket and back out. Same for when the northbound (track 1) platform is worked on.