Railroad Forums 

• Metrorail routing & private propery

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1494068  by farecard

For much of its routing, Metrorail runs under major streets, i.e. public property.
I'd always assumed it all did, but between Van Ness & Tenleytown, I can't see how that's true.
There are also other parts, such as on the Green Line.

So what's the story?
 #1494113  by D40LF

The Red Line does (partly) run under private property between Tenleytown and Van Ness. In fact, during the construction of that segment, two houses were torn down so that the properties could be turned into emergency exits from the tunnel.
 #1494294  by Sand Box John

Both S curves between Van Ness and Tenleytown run under private property, hell almost the entire length of the Tenleytown station along with the tunnels to just south of Chesapeake Street are under private property. The A&C connector passes under the southwest corner of the Army Navy Club at 17th and I Streets. The tunnel between 13th and I Streets and Verizon switch on the southwest corner of 12 th and H Streets run under private property. Parts of the curves on both the F and L routes south of L'Enfant Plaza run under private property. The tunnels between Navy Yard and the north shore Anacostia River are under under private property. Parts on the tunnels between Congress Heights and Southern Avenue run under private property. There are several long segments of the Red line between Silver Spring and Glenmont that run under private property and segments between White Flint and the portal south of Twinbrook.
 #1494337  by Sand Box John

"farecard"
So WMATA has easements from all the property owners?

Yes and likely taken by eminent domain.

The ones I listed are the larger ones, there are several others mostly scattered around DC.