Railroad Forums 

• WMATA Yellow Line Potomac Bridge closure

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1492157  by mtuandrew

More info c/o WTOP.

https://wtop.com/tracking-metro-24-7/20 ... -to-dec-9/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fair use quote:
WTOP track work guide: Yellow Line shutdown from Nov. 26 to Dec. 9

By Max Smith | @amaxsmith
November 25, 2018 4:57 am

WASHINGTON — Metro’s Yellow Line falls off the map for two weeks starting the Monday after Thanksgiving (Nov. 26) as the transit agency shuts down the bridge over the Potomac River for repairs.

The work is scheduled to cut rush-hour rail service in half at all Blue and Yellow Line stations in Virginia from Pentagon to Franconia-Springfield and Huntington, and in the District at Yellow and Green Line stations between L’Enfant Plaza and Mt. Vernon Square.

Metro plans to run every other normally scheduled rush hour Blue Line train from Huntington rather than Franconia-Springfield at rush hour, providing trains every 16 minutes from each endpoint.
Look for express buses from Franconia-Springfield to Pentagon and from Pentagon to L’Enfant to help ease congestion.
 #1492184  by STrRedWolf

I can only shake my head. I would have also:
  • cut the Silver Line service a bit for more Blue Line service.
  • Express buses from Alexandria and Huntington to Navy Yard and back.
  • Discounts on VRE tickets Alexandria to Union Station (if there is capacity on the VRE).
I doubt CSX will allow a shuttle VRE to do Alexandria-Crystal City-L'Efant Plaza-Union Station; we've discussed that already in the Amazon threads.
 #1492200  by mtuandrew

Navy Yard would have been a good destination, and you could make a case for Gallery Place as well. I’m definitely annoyed that Orange and Silver don’t have to share the pain a little too. On the plus side, I rode the Pentagon-L’Enfant shuttle today and it went smoothly - not as fast as YL, but faster than going the long way around on BL.

Also, I guess it isn’t really VRE’s problem to offer more inbound service from ALX. They have as much service as CSX will give them space to run, and they aren’t likely to get many short-haul travelers from Crystal City.