MARC/VRE run-through

Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, Robert Paniagua, therock

ThirdRail7

Re: MARC/VRE run-through

Post by ThirdRail7 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:50 pm

mtuandrew wrote: I hadn’t thought of a potential issue with MARC’s charter though (or with VRE’s charter, or with either one’s operating agreements),
That's why I get paid the big bucks. To remind everyone of the operational realities (challenges) of the situations. They may be easy to overcome or they may be insurmountable....but they often exist.

Um....where are my big bucks?
I want my road foreman!

mtuandrew

Post by mtuandrew » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:54 pm

ThirdRail7 wrote:
mtuandrew wrote: I hadn’t thought of a potential issue with MARC’s charter though (or with VRE’s charter, or with either one’s operating agreements),
That's why I get paid the big bucks. To remind everyone of the operational realities (challenges) of the situations. They may be easy to overcome or they may be insurmountable....but they often exist.

Um....where are my big bucks?
I’ll help you look for them after I find my big bucks :P

STrRedWolf

Post by STrRedWolf » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:29 pm

Assuming the non-Amtrak crews have operational limits, I can see one of two things concerning the crew:
  • VRE's crew (Keolis) run MARC equipment in Virginia all the way into Union Station, where they hand it to MARC crew (Bombardier/Amtrak, depending on line) to run it to Baltimore.
  • Amtrak runs MARC equipment along the entire route.
I think the latter would be a simpler contract to work through, as it's less people involved (three rail companies, two commuter rail agencies, and Amtrak vs all of that plus Keolis and Bombardier).
"The last and final stop is BALTIMORE PENN STATION." I can has MARC V?

dgvrengineer

Post by dgvrengineer » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:33 pm

You have to remember the farther a crew travels the less layover time they have. I believe FRA hours of service rules require a 4 hour minimum layover to qualify for a split shift. Otherwise, their 12 hours of service run without pause.

mmi16

Re: BL/YL closure in Fri rush hour?? Until Sun

Post by mmi16 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:47 pm

STrRedWolf wrote:
mtuandrew wrote:I understand weekend closures, Metro, and sometimes you have to devote three days to a project for which the best time is a holiday weekend. But seriously, today is miserable trying to commute home from DC.

https://www.wmata.com/service/status/de ... utdown.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Some customers traveling between Virginia and Downtown DC on Friday, November 9, may wish to consider VRE train service between Franconia-Springfield, Crystal City or King Street to L'Enfant Plaza or Union Station.
That's what gets me. Why couldn't they have struck a deal with MARC, VRE, Amtrak, and CSX to run a shuttle train between Alexandria/King Street and Union Station, with a stop at L'Enfant Plaza? MARC could spare the equipment (two 4-car+diesel set), VRE could run it, Amtrak would have to staff Alexandria over the weekend, and CSX would have to finagle it's train schedules to have a track clear for four days on top of VRE's Friday schedule (no VRE trains on weekend or Veterans Day). I know the obvious reason (money) but there had to been some other factors as well.
If you don't know - CSX is not going to do any finagling to benefit anybody but CSX.
Never too old to have a happy childhood!

STrRedWolf

Re: BL/YL closure in Fri rush hour?? Until Sun

Post by STrRedWolf » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:10 pm

mmi16 wrote:
STrRedWolf wrote:I know the obvious reason (money) but there had to been some other factors as well.
If you don't know - CSX is not going to do any finagling to benefit anybody but CSX.
That falls under "obvious reasons (money)" -- CSX (well, any rail road company) wants it or wants more capacity to make it without having to spend it first.

mtuandrew

Post by mtuandrew » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:56 am

Greater Greater Washington is hosting an event on this topic on Tuesday, April 30. (Sponsored by Keolis? Hmmmmmmm. :P )
$10 a ticket.

https://ggwash.salsalabs.org/regionalrail/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KTHW

Post by KTHW » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:19 am

Has no one ever considered using the remaining part of the Alexandria NS yard to holdover one or two VRE/MARC trains throughout the day. This way you could run shuttles between ALX and maybe Silver Spring where there’s three tracks for most of the way. Yes Long Bridge still has capacity constraints, but if someone put up the $$$, I could see CSX thinking it through.

STrRedWolf

Post by STrRedWolf » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:10 pm

KTHW wrote:Has no one ever considered using the remaining part of the Alexandria NS yard to holdover one or two VRE/MARC trains throughout the day. This way you could run shuttles between ALX and maybe Silver Spring where there’s three tracks for most of the way. Yes Long Bridge still has capacity constraints, but if someone put up the $$$, I could see CSX thinking it through.
ALX to Silver Spring is a no-go due to Amtrak K-tower -- to get from where VRE pops out at Union Station (Tracks 22-24) to the single track onto CSX's QN interlock, you basically have to cross from one side to the other (track 1)... which means holding all other traffic, and that is busy! Greater Greater Washington went into details about that years back, and the reasons still stand.

Of course, if the cash is put up, CSX will be willing to go three-wide and let the stations have double platforms. It's a lot of cash, though!

ExCon90

Post by ExCon90 » Wed May 01, 2019 2:48 pm

[quote="STrRedWolf"]ALX to Silver Spring is a no-go due to Amtrak K-tower -- to get from where VRE pops out at Union Station (Tracks 22-24) to the single track onto CSX's QN interlock, you basically have to cross from one side to the other (track 1)... which means holding all other traffic, and that is busy!/quote]

And isn't the whole interlocking limited to 15 mph?

Return to “DC - Maryland - Virginia Area Passenger Rail: MTA(MARC), VRE, WMATA(Metro)”