Railroad Forums 

• 2 Metro Trains routed to wrong direction

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1484315  by davinp

On Monday, Aug 27, A silver line train departed Rosslyn and got rerouted to the blue line

On Tuesday, Aug 28, A blue line train departed Rosslyn and got rerouted to the Orange/Silver line.

These incidents were caused a problem with the signal/switch. It would not have occurred if Metro was using Automatic Train Control

https://railtransitops.org/2018/08/29/c ... n-station/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1485766  by zuckie13

The first incident was entirely on the operator, both not having their train set to the correct route AND not noticing the wrong route when the left the station. The signals and switches were working just fine.

The second incident was a mistake by the ROCC folks who were manually controlling the with that day., that the operator failed to notice.

The main result is more training needed to make sure operators check their lineup.
 #1485872  by Sand Box John

"zuckie13"
The first incident was entirely on the operator, both not having their train set to the correct route AND not noticing the wrong route when the left the station. The signals and switches were working just fine.

The second incident was a mistake by the ROCC folks who were manually controlling the with that day., that the operator failed to notice.

The main result is more training needed to make sure operators check their lineup.

It is nearly imposable to not notice what the lineup is. C route is a normal lunar, K route is a flashing lunar.
 #1485873  by Rockingham Racer

I've watched this happen in regular railroad towers, too. Not the end of the world. The signal indication should tell the engineer/motorman/operator what the route is set up for. So either they don't know how to read signals, or the signal system itself needs some changing.
 #1485945  by mmi16

Rockingham Racer wrote:I've watched this happen in regular railroad towers, too. Not the end of the world. The signal indication should tell the engineer/motorman/operator what the route is set up for. So either they don't know how to read signals, or the signal system itself needs some changing.
I don't know what signal aspects Metro signals display.

In 'real railroads' it is possible for the same signal indication to apply to more than a single diverging route. The 'Diverging' signal indication applies to any diverging route and at some locations there can be more than one.
 #1485968  by STrRedWolf

mtuandrew wrote:
ExCon90 wrote:Could it be that they're so used to automatic operation that they don't really look?
They haven’t used full ATO for years, so I find that unlikely.
Wasn't the first run of the day usually without ATO back then?