Railroad Forums 

• MARC installing new ticket machines everywhere

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1477816  by STrRedWolf

So MARC is putting new ticket machines in... well... everywhere. They'll take over for Amtrak's TVMs for selling MARC tickets.

https://mta.maryland.gov/content/new-al ... et-or-pass" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The main take-aways are:
  • ALMOST ALL the stations are getting them. All the Amtrak stations including Aberdeen. Even at BWI Airport itself (not the Amtrak station) and the MTA Transit Store in Baltimore. The only exception is Fredrick.
  • Some of them will take cash: Aberdeen, Bowie State, BWI Amtrak, Camden Yards, College Park, Halethorpe, New Carollton, MTA Transit Store, West Baltimore.
  • All Amtrak stations and Odenton (Commuter Direct) will still be staffed.
  • You don't use them like Amtrak QuickTrax machine. Tap first. When it needs your credit card, it'll ask you to insert it. Don't immedately remove it; it's a chip reader.
 #1482906  by danib62

They also taking NFC payment like Apple Pay and google pay. Way faster than inserting a chip card!
 #1482927  by STrRedWolf

danib62 wrote:They also taking NFC payment like Apple Pay and google pay. Way faster than inserting a chip card!
Oh yes, I forgot about following up. I'm now paying for my tickets via Apple Pay if I don't get my monthly at the Odenton station. More opportunity not to miss it.