Railroad Forums 

• MARC train and riders trapped in flash flood in Brunswick

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1472901  by MCL1981

Frederick County (MD) got about 6 inches of rain in 2 hours last night. It was pretty nuts. Lots of flash flooding and swift water rescues all evening. MARC Train 879 got caught in a flash flood just south of Brunswick. The water was coming up so fast and so high, the riders had to take shelter on the upper level of the multi-level cars. And where they remained trapped for several hours. Fire Rescue was there, but determined it was safer to stay on the train and wait for the water to recede than evacuate the train by boat in the dark during a storm. The MARC Brunswick Line service is suspended today, and presumably the entire metropolitan sub is closed due to damage from the flooding.
 #1473192  by STrRedWolf

Related: MARC Brunswick Line partial service due to a wash-out between Brunswick and Point-of-Rocks.

https://mta.maryland.gov/content/limite ... nue-friday" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Four trainsets are trapped in Brunswick, and as soon as possible will be moved out.
 #1473242  by jcepler1

So they are running six trains out of Frederick. The yard there has 4 storage tracks, and since MTA owns the line, they are probably ok with blocking the main overnight?

They must be serving Point of Rocks by backing into the station.

Where do the trains go that are being evacuated from Brunswick Yard? Stuff them into the storage yard at Martinsburg?

But there are trains going through- I saw the Capitol Limited come into Union Station yesterday while I was on the red line.
 #1473399  by STrRedWolf

jcepler1 wrote:So they are running six trains out of Frederick. The yard there has 4 storage tracks, and since MTA owns the line, they are probably ok with blocking the main overnight?

They must be serving Point of Rocks by backing into the station.

Where do the trains go that are being evacuated from Brunswick Yard? Stuff them into the storage yard at Martinsburg?

But there are trains going through- I saw the Capitol Limited come into Union Station yesterday while I was on the red line.
I would imagine they're putting two short lengths in Fredrick and the rest in Martinsburg, and reversing as needed.

CSX may have one line open, but this is the Old Main freight line where it hits the Catoctin Aqueduct (where it washed out). Moving them out to Martinsburg doesn't look viable... and I don't see where else to put them. (Granted, paying who holds the B&O Martinsburg Roundhouse to rebuild the tracks for more storage would be *AWESOME*)