Railroad Forums 

• WMATA Summer 2019 BL/YL Virginia platform project

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1509905  by mtuandrew

How’s the first workday travel going for everyone?

Pluses: much more bus service. For me, I appreciate the expanded 21A hours and the Landmark Shuttle. Looks like they hired out a lot of the free express routes to Varsity Lines buses.

Minuses: platforms. The Van Dorn Shuttle boarding is out in the street, not even in the bus loop née Kiss & Ride. Meanwhile at Pentagon, they’re trying to stuff three bus routes into one gate — it’ll shake out by next week, but frustrating now. Also, someone blocked off one of the Pentagon lower platform escalators which makes a slow transfer even more slow.

I’ll try to keep an eye on the actual work — all I’ve seen so far is a highrail truck and a lot of folks in hi-vis vests and hard hats at King Street.
 #1509970  by danib62

thanks for the update! A friend of mine reported a long line for the Metroway at Crystal City yesterday afternoon.
 #1509977  by farecard

mtuandrew wrote:
Also, someone blocked off one of the Pentagon lower platform escalators which makes a slow transfer even more slow.
I've always feared crush-load platforms. Too much chance someone might get pushed over the edge onto the tracks.
 #1510384  by mtuandrew

STrRedWolf wrote:Yeah, it's all getting posted on Reddit: https://redd.it/bv81oj" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This comment pretty much describes it for me:
michapman2• 1d
I think it's just that they brought people from outside the area. Driving around the DC metropolitan area is awful even when you live there; I can't imagine someone who hasn't driven there before suddenly being handed the keys to a bus and told to figure out how to get to the Pentagon from wherever.
I see them (WMATA, FFX Connector, DASH, ART, VRE, the contractors with Academy) trying, and I’m willing to give them more benefit of the doubt if this week is better than last.
 #1510388  by STrRedWolf

mtuandrew wrote:
STrRedWolf wrote:Yeah, it's all getting posted on Reddit: https://redd.it/bv81oj" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This comment pretty much describes it for me:
michapman2• 1d
I think it's just that they brought people from outside the area. Driving around the DC metropolitan area is awful even when you live there; I can't imagine someone who hasn't driven there before suddenly being handed the keys to a bus and told to figure out how to get to the Pentagon from wherever.
I see them (WMATA, FFX Connector, DASH, ART, VRE, the contractors with Academy) trying, and I’m willing to give them more benefit of the doubt if this week is better than last.
I won't be surprised if the contract was awarded at the last minute and there was no time to get the route down to the drivers. This is one place where you *wish* there was a GPS assist for the drivers.
 #1510420  by mtuandrew

What I wish for is a better means of entry for buses to Pentagon. The HOV lanes are clogged - my bus has been slower than the regular lanes since King Street & I-395, stop-and-go since before the top of Arlington Ridge. Too many private cars and Ubers. Also too many buses discharging passengers.
 #1510433  by farecard

I'm not familiar with the stations down there.

At other "both side" entrance stations such as New Carrolton, there is an outside-the-fairgate passage between them.
Do the closed locations lack same, or are such passages also locked off during the work?
 #1510472  by Sand Box John

"farecard"
I'm not familiar with the stations down there.

At other "both side" entrance stations such as New Carrolton, there is an outside-the-fairgate passage between them.
Do the closed locations lack same, or are such passages also locked off during the work?

The use of sides to describe the entrance at the Huntington station is misleading. It should be ends, The south entrance is on top of the hill south of the south end of the platform and is accessed from North Kings Highway. The north entrance is below the north end of the platform and is accessed from Huntington Avenue. There is no direct pedestrian path outside of the station between the two entrances or bus terminal loops.
Last edited by Sand Box John on Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1510520  by mtuandrew

John: I haven’t been there but it looks like one could walk between the two sides by going through the south garage, without entering the fare zone. It’s a pretty significant hill besides, not one I’d like to hike up daily.
 #1510552  by Sand Box John

"mtuandrew"
John: I haven’t been there but it looks like one could walk between the two sides by going through the south garage, without entering the fare zone. It’s a pretty significant hill besides, not one I’d like to hike up daily.

That why I qualified my description of the station layout by stating "There is no direct pedestrian path outside of the station between the two entrances or bus terminal loops."