Railroad Forums 

• Metro ‘swing-gates’ due for upgrade

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1468507  by davinp

Currently, most swing gates open both ways. The new swing gates will only open to allow people to exit in an emergency.

The enhanced gates will be magnetically secured and an alarm will sound when they are improperly opened. The alarm also triggers a flashing light in the station manager kiosk. Gates will be designed to close automatically.

Fare barriers will also be raised to a height of 4.5 feet.

https://wtop.com/tracking-metro-24-7/20 ... e-evasion/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1468511  by JackRussell

davinp wrote:Currently, most swing gates open both ways. The new swing gates will only open to allow people to exit in an emergency.

The enhanced gates will be magnetically secured and an alarm will sound when they are improperly opened. The alarm also triggers a flashing light in the station manager kiosk. Gates will be designed to close automatically.

https://wtop.com/tracking-metro-24-7/20 ... e-evasion/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I hope they can make these things more reliable at some point. When I have my bicycle I use the wider handicapped gate (which has to be usable in both directions), and I frequently find that the thing is "stuck" in one direction and the station manager needs to come out to reboot the thing before I can exit.

And what are you supposed to do when the thing won't let you out, and there is no station manager to be seen anywhere?
 #1468514  by andrewjw

JackRussell wrote:
davinp wrote:Currently, most swing gates open both ways. The new swing gates will only open to allow people to exit in an emergency.

I hope they can make these things more reliable at some point. When I have my bicycle I use the wider handicapped gate (which has to be usable in both directions), and I frequently find that the thing is "stuck" in one direction and the station manager needs to come out to reboot the thing before I can exit.

And what are you supposed to do when the thing won't let you out, and there is no station manager to be seen anywhere?
Go out the emergency exit, like now. No station manager? Nobody will notice the alarm. Station manager comes out after all? Make sure you tapped out.