Railroad Forums 

• Tracks beyond Largo

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1467259  by drwho9437

I noticed on a live map of train locations many trains at the end near Largo. I don't think there is yard there but when I looked at the satellite image I noticed that the tracks go underground after the station. Is there a long tail track for parking a few trains? What is there? Why underground?

On the track schematic it is marked like the trail track at Franconia, so I suppose it is like that but just underground?

Just curious.
 #1467307  by Sand Box John

"drwho9437"
I noticed on a live map of train locations many trains at the end near Largo. I don't think there is yard there but when I looked at the satellite image I noticed that the tracks go underground after the station. Is there a long tail track for parking a few trains? What is there? Why underground?

On the track schematic it is marked like the trail track at Franconia, so I suppose it is like that but just underground?

Just curious.

That would be correct. The ends of tracks 1 and 2 are roughly under the center of this building, the end track 3 between the other 2 is about 75' to the south. The capacity of the 3 track is 24 cars. The three tracks are separated by 30" columns spaced roughly on 16' centers providing ample space to do visual inspections and light repairs. It is underground to allow development on the surface as this building was built above the tunnels sum years later. There are knockouts to allow the extension of track 1 and 2. The tappers in the track bed of the elevated between the east end of the station and the portals are for a junction to allow extension the line further to the east.
 #1467316  by YOLO

There's like zero chance of BL being extended beyond Largo, not sure why they wasted money on those knockouts (unless they had cash to burn?)
 #1467349  by Sand Box John

"drwho9437"
Thanks!

You're welcome.

"YOLO"
There's like zero chance of BL being extended beyond Largo, not sure why they wasted money on those knockouts (unless they had cash to burn?)

Never say never, You have no idea what might happen after both you and I have become room temperature.

No money was wasted as the end of the last tunnel segment is keyed the same way as the adjacent tunnel segments. The wall that caps the end of the last tunnel segment would be placed the same way even if extending the tail track was never considered.