Railroad Forums 

• how do MARC and VRE coordinate with OPM?

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1463666  by dt_rt40

Odd question - I got a text alert from my agency at 5:15am about the closure - so I assume OPM made the decision no earlier than about 5am. By that time, MARC train 505, leaving Perryville at 4:40 am, has already gotten to Edgewood! What happens? Do they turn the train around? I assume there are VRE trains that leave at similarly ungodly hours.

And BTW, am I correct in NOT remembering another time MARC has completely canceled train service, for something other than a major snow storm? I wasn't regularly riding for the period around Hurricanes Sandy or Irene, but feel like I would remember hearing they'd canceled completely.
 #1463684  by STrRedWolf

MARC decided on an "R" schedule last night due to weather at 11pm. OPM may of made an advisory before then. That would of solved the first run from Perryville, since it's not an "R" train.

OPM would of released a shut-down between 4:40am and 5:21am; MARC would be notified (subscription email) and they would of made the call with Amtrak, CSX, and Bombardier around 5am.
 #1463957  by Literalman

When I was commuting on VRE and wondering whether it would run the next day, I noticed that an OPM announcement of government closing was usually followed minutes later by a VRE announcement canceling all service. This was rough on those of us who were VRE riders but not government employees (something like a third of VRE passengers, according to VRE's passenger survey).
 #1464167  by davinp

VRE says OPM is one factor they use to consider when deciding whether to cancel service.
They consult with their "host" railroads - CSX, NS and Amtrak.
Safety of the crew and passengers is their #1 priority.

I believe that on Friday they cancelled service first before MARC did. MARC originally was going to run a limited service then cancelled service all together
 #1464229  by STrRedWolf

davinp wrote:VRE says OPM is one factor they use to consider when deciding whether to cancel service.
They consult with their "host" railroads - CSX, NS and Amtrak.
Safety of the crew and passengers is their #1 priority.

I believe that on Friday they cancelled service first before MARC did. MARC originally was going to run a limited service then cancelled service all together
The easiest explanation is that us Marylanders are only slightly crazy on a good day. :)

Light rail in Baltimore ran until 7pm.