Railroad Forums 

• Special move (chargers)

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1452101  by DutchRailnut

from another forum : Siemens will ship from their Sacramento facility, the first 3 MARC Charger locomotives as well as the first SEPTA ACS64.
Union Pacific will pick up the locomotives sometime on Friday.
 #1452344  by DutchRailnut

by salt lake city as of 10 am sun
 #1461095  by CNJGeep

2 more on the way east.
 #1468062  by STrRedWolf

D.Carleton wrote:And so it begins: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4930143
The first Charger began revenue service today.
Quick question is that do all the Chargers have to be tested out on the lines first before going into service? I don't know off hand if that's an MTA reg or not.
 #1468068  by D.Carleton

STrRedWolf wrote:Quick question is that do all the Chargers have to be tested out on the lines first before going into service? I don't know off hand if that's an MTA reg or not.
No.
 #1468367  by KTHW

The picture above shows a Charger leading an MPI-36, is this just as backup while the Chargers get all their quirks ironed out, or MTA policy? IIRC MTA was looking for equipment that it could run between all three lines but still achieve speed (125mph?) on the Penn Line. I don’t think the MPIs can run above 100, so I’m hoping that if they do have to double up MARC will use 2 Chargers.
 #1468399  by STrRedWolf

KTHW wrote:The picture above shows a Charger leading an MPI-36, is this just as backup while the Chargers get all their quirks ironed out, or MTA policy? IIRC MTA was looking for equipment that it could run between all three lines but still achieve speed (125mph?) on the Penn Line. I don’t think the MPIs can run above 100, so I’m hoping that if they do have to double up MARC will use 2 Chargers.
I think more than likely that they accepted delivery at the Riverside MARC yard, and they're putting the Chargers on the consists there. They'll be out on the Camden line for a while (which I think is max 79 mph CSX line) until they can get a few Chargers out to DC and then back on the Penn Line to really push 'em.
 #1468430  by KTHW

STrRedWolf wrote:
KTHW wrote:The picture above shows a Charger leading an MPI-36, is this just as backup while the Chargers get all their quirks ironed out, or MTA policy? IIRC MTA was looking for equipment that it could run between all three lines but still achieve speed (125mph?) on the Penn Line. I don’t think the MPIs can run above 100, so I’m hoping that if they do have to double up MARC will use 2 Chargers.
I think more than likely that they accepted delivery at the Riverside MARC yard, and they're putting the Chargers on the consists there. They'll be out on the Camden line for a while (which I think is max 79 mph CSX line) until they can get a few Chargers out to DC and then back on the Penn Line to really push 'em.
I take it then that the belief is that a single Charger will be able to hit 125mph on the Penn line pulling a rush hour consist? I saw the video of them testing at Pueblo pulling 3 K-Cars, but I’d be interested to see how 6-8 fully loaded bi-levels will affect the Charger’s performance.
 #1468571  by D.Carleton

Agreed policy by all parties involved. 82 went in service today.